Thread: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card

I have a Dell Vostro with XP sp3 and Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card Rev 3.00 BCM4315 / BCM22062000. I am using a Backtrack 4 Live CD. I have learned that to use a 1395 adapter with Backtrack, I must install ndiswrapper and drivers file R174291.exe from the Dell site. The reason seems to be there is a compatibility problem with this adapter and linux and a fix is required.

If I use the live CD version of Backtrack 4, how do I incorporate ndiswrapper and the addtional drivers? Must I install this additional software and drivers in XP? Wouldn't this be mixing XP and linux?

Thanks

Ok, so this is your first post here. Read the forum rules and post in the appropriate section of the forum (like the newbie area). This section (working hardware is for posting on hardware that has been tested with BT4PF and not for problems and questions).

About your question. No you have to install it while using BT and while you try to comprehend this let me save you the trouble and explain that the driver will be installed to RAM (that's the memory that the "CD version uses" and will be gone on the next reboot. So would be wiser to use a persistent USB version.Even wiser would be to choose another distro for getting to know linux. This one is a bit advanced and to use it, it would be wise to already be comfortable fith linux OS's.

Best of luck.

(What can I say, my mourning cup of coffee was really nice.)
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

I have a 1500 draft 802.11n WLAN mini-card

Where and when exactly do you install those drivers in BT4 ?
    Sorry may seem like a stupid question but I'm at a total loss..

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eoline View Post
    I have a Dell Vostro with XP sp3 and Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card Rev 3.00 BCM4315 / BCM22062000. I am using a Backtrack 4 Live CD. I have learned that to use a 1395 adapter with Backtrack, I must install ndiswrapper and drivers file R174291.exe from the Dell site. The reason seems to be there is a compatibility problem with this adapter and linux and a fix is required.

If I use the live CD version of Backtrack 4, how do I incorporate ndiswrapper and the addtional drivers? Must I install this additional software and drivers in XP? Wouldn't this be mixing XP and linux?

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

If you're using the 1395 Mini you don't need NDISwrapper. There is a driver now in the Ubuntu repositories that will automagically make it work. I don't recall off the top of my head how I did this in BT4, but in Ubuntu it is just the Restricted Drivers or Hardware Drivers under System. Ubuntu website might have it, I'll look around for a link if I have time later.