Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASUS EEEPC 701 4G, Atheros card (SD installation)

I'm not sure if ext3 or reiser makes any difference. I've always used ext3.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

reiser was only an attempt to see if it makes a difference. but had no effect compared to ext3

I'd still suggest spending $25 and getting the 2GB RAM.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I'd still suggest spending $25 and getting the 2GB RAM.
    Seconded considering I run one and did exactly this (best move ever). Using the performance modules to change the CPU speed doesn't seem to have much of an effect compared to this.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    Seconded considering I run one and did exactly this (best move ever). Using the performance modules to change the CPU speed doesn't seem to have much of an effect compared to this.
    All that will do is make it hotter.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    All that will do is make it hotter.
    To clarify, you mean changing CPU settigns make it run hotter, not adding the RAM. Correct?
    Thorn

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    To clarify, you mean changing CPU settigns make it run hotter, not adding the RAM. Correct?
    Yea, that's what I get for replying with my phone... Overclocking the cpu just makes it hotter. You really aren't going to get enough speed to make it worthwhile. You have to remember, the eee's heatsink is just the aluminum plate the keyboard sits on. The fan is on the opposite side of the mobo! I know Thorn knows this, just stating it for the folks that still have a warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yea, that's what I get for replying with my phone... Overclocking the cpu just makes it hotter. You really aren't going to get enough speed to make it worthwhile. You have to remember, the eee's heatsink is just the aluminum plate the keyboard sits on. The fan is on the opposite side of the mobo! I know Thorn knows this, just stating it for the folks that still have a warranty...
    Yeah, I know, it just read a bit odd, and I didn't want the OP to think you were advocating not adding the RAM.

Warranty? Do people actually keep those more than a half-hour after opening the shipping box?
    Thorn

Just burned his ISO

ok, i upgraded to 2 GB Ram.

unfortunatly the performance is still very bad.

example: i go to the kde menu and it take 10 seconds to list an item. firefox adress filling sometimes takes forevery. a simple command like useradd takes minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by risqqq View Post
    ok, i upgraded to 2 GB Ram.

unfortunatly the performance is still very bad.

example: i go to the kde menu and it take 10 seconds to list an item. firefox adress filling sometimes takes forevery. a simple command like useradd takes minutes.
    I'm at a loss.

Two suggestions:
    • Look for some I/O speed testing tool(s) to see if you an determine if it's the the SDHC card.
    • Post a ps listing; maybe we can look at if and see something running that shouldn't be there. Although, with a fresh install, I'd doubt that's the issue.
    Thorn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast