Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ASUS EEEPC 701 4G, Atheros card (SD installation)

Thumbs up ASUS EEEPC 701 4G, Atheros card (SD installation)

Works good (with save changes). Built in atheros card is called wlan0 instead of usual ath0 and needed to be 'up' before connecting to the internet, just do
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    wicd
    Injection and everything is working properly so far... Best thing is scroll bar on the touch pad is working perfect as well.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by kazalku View Post
    Works good (with save changes). Built in atheros card is called wlan0 instead of usual ath0 and needed to be 'up' before connecting to the internet, just do
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    wicd
    same in 901 with Atheros AR5008

Regards

Just burned his ISO

I installed BT4 sucessfully on my EEE 701 4g SDHC Card.

My problem: The System is terrible slow and unresponsive compared to other OS i ran sucessfully from SDHC Card. I tried ReiserFS as a filesystem, but it had no effect. Any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by risqqq View Post
    I installed BT4 sucessfully on my EEE 701 4g SDHC Card.

My problem: The System is terrible slow and unresponsive compared to other OS i ran sucessfully from SDHC Card. I tried ReiserFS as a filesystem, but it had no effect. Any ideas ?
    How much ram do you have installed? It works just fine on my eee.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How much ram do you have installed? It works just fine on my eee.
    I didnt upgrade ram, so i have 512 MB. I dont think thats the problem, as there is only half of it used after system start.

Quote Originally Posted by risqqq View Post
    I didnt upgrade ram, so i have 512 MB. I dont think thats the problem, as there is only half of it used after system start.
    As with any unix like os, the more ram the better. It could be your sd card as well. What brand/model number is it?

I'm currently running 2Gb of ram, / is an 8Gb class 2 Sandisk sdhc card. Root is my internal 4Gb of flash. Both are ext3.

Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    As with any unix like os, the more ram the better. It could be your sd card as well. What brand/model number is it?

I'm currently running 2Gb of ram, / is an 8Gb class 2 Sandisk sdhc card. Root is my internal 4Gb of flash. Both are ext3.
    I have to agree with Barry on both parts.
    1) More RAM is always the best rule when dealing with any system.
    2) All SDHC cards are not created equal, and some have really crappy I/O rates*. Stick with a name brand; SanDisk is the one I prefer.

My 701 has 2GB RAM, and a SanDisk 4GB Class 2 SDHC card. BT3 boots of the SDHC and it runs like a top.

*This applies to almost any flash memory from USB drives to other formats (such as CF, xD, mSD, MMC, etc.), not just SDHC cards. Stick with name brands.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Also to add to this. Don't put a swap partition in there!! Sure sd cards are cheap as air nowadays, but why kill it any faster?

I have 512MB RAM as well, that's a reason of selecting class 4 SD card. I'm using Kingston brand. If you can spend a bit more, then go for class 6.
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

First BIG thanx for all the quick suggestions and help.

I have an 8 GB SDHC Sandisk Ultra 2 (15MB/Sec)

df

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdb1 7373528 4633352 2740176 63% /
    tmpfs 250836 0 250836 0% /lib/init/rw
    varrun 250836 52 250784 1% /var/run
    varlock 250836 0 250836 0% /var/lock
    udev 250836 2924 247912 2% /dev
    tmpfs 250836 0 250836 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sdc1 14933848 8 14933840 1% /mnt/us

free (after X start)

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 501672 66040 435632 0 12496 29996
    -/+ buffers/cache: 23548 478124
    Swap: 385520 0 38552

The performance is still really bad (simple commands like useradd take forever, firefox start takes over 30 seconds)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast