Thread: When backtrack upgrade every version ?

Hybrid View

I Stupid !

Question How long backtrack upgrade every version ?

So sorry because my english so bad. This is my post write by english.
    I have a question: how long time backtrack upgrade every version ? I am newbie of backtrack

1. What do you mean?
    2. Why is it so important to you?

Anyway, NOMEN EST OMEN!!
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Google Translate FeTeWe!

Mr. I Stupid: They upgrade it all the time, we're at version 4 now if you read the forums here.
    The versions in between is usually beta and pre final and of course, final :-)
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

I Stupid !

Sorry, I don't use english a long time and so busy to reply concrete
    I want backtrack upgrade cause I want to use the applications are nmap, nessus, wireshark newest, and update all database.

Many distro as gentoo, debian, centos use kde 3.5. I don't want use kde 4 because kde 4 so heavy for my PC (pentium D 805, ram 1 gb).

I think backtrack base on ubuntu 8.10 to make easy for newbie learn hack, security . But I see debian is stable and light more than ubuntu. If backtrack team can build 1 new distribution base on debian. It can be good more than backtrack 4 base on ubnutu 8.10.
    I use backtrack and read all guide in forum .

Hmm, thats even less clear than your original post.

Lets see if I can sum this up:

You want a version of BackTrack with the newest versions of nmap, nessus, wireshark, and other tools. You dont want KDE4, but instead want version 3.5.

BackTrack 4 PreFinal sounds like its what you need. It doesnt have Nessus (being that Nessus is a commercial product), but it has newish versions of everything else. Plus you can easily update it.

The references to Ubuntu and Debian had me a bit confused. Debian is reasonably light and stable, but its generally WAY behind the times in terms of package versions. Not the best choice if you want the latest versions of software, so from your perspective using Ubuntu packages for BackTrack will help keep things fresher. As for Ubuntu being heavier than Debian - well Ubuntu Desktop is heavier than your standard Debian install, but BackTrack doesnt preinstall all of the same packages as Ubuntu Desktop, so this isnt really a factor for Backtrack. And as for stability, Ive been using new releases of Ubuntu on my main home system for four years now, and with the possible exception of when compiz was introduced into the core system, have had no noticable issues.

Anyway, I dont think that the issue of what distribution to base BackTrack on is really up for debate. Im sure that the BackTrack devs have already had their fill of the wailing and gnashing of teeth after the move from slackware, and don't want to rehash the issue...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

I Stupid !

Question When backtrack upgrade every version ?

I use english so bad, so I must google translate translate my language to english

I used the backtrack 4 (modified from Ubuntu 8.10) and weaknet 2.0 final (modified from Ubuntu 8.04) . Backtrack 4, weaknet have many bug of Ubuntu 8:10, 8:04 . If I install miss some multimedia applications errors. I did not know what to take to fix the my system you're here.
    I do not want to apt-get dist-upgrade because the upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04, system is not still backtrack or weaknet . Is the best way is to backup - restore, or the ghost ?
    What the way install newest application so keep backtrack 4 system is safe ?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Stupid ! View Post
    What the way install newest application so keep backtrack 4 system is safe ?
    Live DVD

What language do you speak? Maybe some one speaks the same one can help you.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I Stupid !

Unhappy When backtrack upgrade every version ?

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Live DVD

What language do you speak? Maybe some one speaks the same one can help you.
    Thanks so much for your answer. I am m3onh0x84@hvaonline.net and from vietnam My language is not popular, so I can speak english good relativel.
    I must install backtrack to hdd because want to understand everything of backtrack. I think to your way show too. But my dvd disk so bad, can not usually use DVD.
    I think I have to ghost, backup - restore, use virutal machine, usb
    But I want to keep safe backtrack system when update database or try newest application. My PC so old, weak (pentium D 805, ram 1 gb) , I can not use virtual machine like vmware, virtual box (ram =<1gb), usb so small (1gb)
    True problem is ubuntu have many bug, hard to keep safe system when always update, upgrade, so much apps, modules, package add to systems. Ubuntu not keep Debian safe rules: "Keep everything is simple"
    Do you have another way for me ? Thanks so much all answer

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Stupid ! View Post
    Do you have another way for me ? Thanks so much all answer
    Use a Live DVD seems like the best way to go.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I Stupid !

Thanks, I think I must find new bigger usb to reinstall backtrack