Thread: EEE701 can not connect to AP after macchanger

Exclamation EEE701 can not connect to AP after macchanger

Well, this is a fairly sensitive subject. First question anybody will ask (I know that) is - "Dude, why do you want to change your MAC & connect to an AP? " Answer is, there is a fine line between 'stealing neighbor's internet' & learning.... This MAC changing is really simple in linux & this thing should work and if it doesn't work, I like to know WHY?

Scenario is - EEEPC 701 with BT3, built in atheros AR5BXB63 - works great in 'normal' condition, even supports monitor mode & injection. However, if I change the MAC,
    Code:
    macchanger -m 00:11:22:33:44:55 ath0
    it can see the AP, but can't connect. Currently, AP is set to WPA but I've also tried to connect after changing it to WEP - no luck!! I'm using the "Wireless Assistant" to connect.

With the same system + USB Edimax, everything works just fine... I think this is an old problem, unsolved here & here and this solution didn't work for me. Any idea will be appreciated.

PS: I don't use MAC filtering.... if you are curious...
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

I found that I couldn't use the network managers in BT3 on my 701 4G either (actually I can't get the atheros chip to connect to any WPA network so I just guessed it wouldn't support it and haven't had a chance to look further at it) so I just scripted the connect-to-wep commands (ssid, assoc, key, dhclient etc.) and use that.

Have you tried from the command line the actual network setup?
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

I tried to modify the following for ath0 but it must be different for atheros:

ifconfig rausb0 down
    macchanger -m 00:11:22:33:44:55 rausb0
    ifconfig rausb0 up
    iwconfig rausb0 mode managed
    iwconfig rausb0 essid **put essid**
    iwpriv rausb0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
    iwpriv rausb0 set WPAPSK=**password**
    iwpriv rausb0 set EncrypType=TKIP
    dhcpcd rausb0

If you kindly post your script that would be great... Cheers
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

I am working on this as well. I can connect fine without changing mac, once I do it hangs. I am sure it is something simple and I will post my results if I get it working on my end.

Glad I was not the only one with this problem. I have searched and am currently trying the old workarounds.
    15" MBP 8 gigs o ram 256 gig SSD in drivebay + 256 gig 5400 HD
    1000HE EEE 30 gig SSD 2 gigs Ram

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kazalku View Post
    If you kindly post your script that would be great... Cheers
    Degrade your network to WEP and try it that way. If that can connect ok through the command line, see if it can through the GUI. (the wep commands are all in iwconfig IIRC - currently in the process of rebuilding my systems so everything is everywhere).

Then upgrade back to WPA and go through the motions. You might also want to try wpa_supplicant just in case.

Edit:

Oh wait, here it is:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

if [[ $# -ne 1 ]]; then
    	echo "Need argument (on|off)"
    	exit
    fi

case "on" in "$1")
    	monitor-off > /dev/null
    	iwconfig ath0 channel 1
    	iwconfig ath0 essid "network"
    	iwconfig ath0 key xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxxx-xx
    	ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
    	route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1
    esac

case "off" in "$1")
    	iwconfig ath0 channel auto
    	iwconfig ath0 essid ""
    	ifconfig ath0 0.0.0.0
    	iwconfig ath0 key off
    esac
    Note that the monitor-off command destroys my card (effectivly a reboot) them macchanger -r's it prior to bringing it all back up.

After that has been confirmed working, test it through the wireless manager, then upgrade and so on.

I'm relativly certain mine doesn't support WPA enc, I know my older Orinoco doesn't.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Thanks a lot (although a bit late).. Well, things have changed at my end & I wiped my BT3 & installed BT4 pre-final. I didn't get a chance to play with your script, really sorry....

Update on the original issue: solved with BT4...