Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: BT4-PreFinal Manual Install -Dual Boot

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the reply! i just tried this out and i still seem to be getting an error when attempting to boot into this partition.

The error i get is, "Error 15: file not found"

im going to try a few other things, hopefully i can get this going!

i will post my results

Just burned his ISO

sorry. my further post was nonsense.

did you do this correctly?

:: Installing GRUB (When /boot resides in its own partition)

Code:
    root@bt:~# grub
    grub> find /grub/stage1			
        (hd0,0)
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    Note: The "root" line must point to the location of your /boot/ partition if you have one. If you do not have one, point it at your / partition.

Just burned his ISO

Today 04:49 AM
    bender01101 sorry. my further post was nonsense.

did you do this correctly?

Quote:
    :: Installing GRUB (When /boot resides in its own partition)

Code:

grub> find /grub/stage1
    (hd0,0)
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit

Note: The "root" line must point to the location of your /boot/ partition if you have one. If you do not have one, point it at your / partition.
    no, i didn't perform that operation, i figured when i install ubuntu studio, it would create a grub file over the backtrack grub anyways.

The only thing that concerns me about that code entry is the "grub> setup (hd0)" entry.. wouldnt that line replace my current bootloader menu.lst? maybe if i mount the stage1 grub entry to the /boot partition for backtrack which would be /dev/sda9, would i get the same results?

As of right now (without attempting the above posted code), i am receiving "Error 17: unable to mount file system". Any advice appreciated!

Thanks again!

Just burned his ISO

I agree with OP on this one. I didnt liked the installer on backtrack 4 pre final either i followed the beta guide and after a couple of tries I successfully installed it using the old beta guida this made it easier though. thanks again.
    I aint crazy just a lil mistaken

Just burned his ISO

Question

bump.

Does anyone know if this method would work, or would it ruin my bootloader?

Code:
    Code:
    grub> find /grub/stage1
    (hd0,0)
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    no, i didn't perform that operation, i figured when i install ubuntu studio, it would create a grub file over the backtrack grub anyways.
    The only thing that concerns me about that code entry is the "grub> setup (hd0)" entry.. wouldnt that line replace my current bootloader menu.lst? maybe if i mount the stage1 grub entry to the /boot partition for backtrack which would be /dev/sda9, would i get the same results?

As of right now (without attempting the above posted code), i am receiving "Error 17: unable to mount file system". Any advice appreciated!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by killians31 View Post
    bump.

Does anyone know if this method would work, or would it ruin my bootloader?
    It's not going to work because if you look at your partition table, (hd0,0) contains your Windows 7 OS. My advice is, copy all boot files to a single /boot partition (you have three) and update grub from it. Let's say you choose (hd0,2):

Note: is really important that you copy whatever menu.lst you want to use to that partition. Also, as I mentioned before, you will have to place the compiled kernel (vmlinuz) and the initrd of each distro to that partition (/boot). Make sure in menu.lst you point to the right root partition! Good luck

Code:
    :~# grub
    grub> find /grub/stage1
    (hd0,2)
    grub> root (hd0,2)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    QuadCore AMD Phenon X4 9950, 2600 MHz
    8GB DDR2 800MHz
    Dual Boot System: Windows Server 2008 x64 w/ Hyper-V, Ubuntu 9.10 x64

Just burned his ISO

alright, i just gave this another try!

i feel like i am getting so close to getting this to work, but it seems to be very frugal with me!

i restarted the installation entirely (reloaded windows seven to the hard drive to over write grub), then re-formatted the backtrack partitions.

followed the steps word for word (took a few tries to work)

I edit the grub via nano like i want it

then once i get to the

Code:
    grub> find /grub/stage1
    (hd0,2)
    grub> root (hd0,2)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    it finds:
    Code:
    grub> find /grub/stage1
    (hd0,6)
    (hd0,7)
    (hd0,9)
    grub> root (hd0,2)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    which looks to be my fedora /boot, backtrack /root, and swap

kinda strange..

anyways, i decided to give the (hd0,7) a try, and when i rebooted, it brought up my original boot menu (which was edited via ubuntu)...

im kinda torn here, any opinions?

Thanks
    -Ben

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by adri_ht_ View Post
    It's not going to work because if you look at your partition table, (hd0,0) contains your Windows 7 OS. My advice is, copy all boot files to a single /boot partition (you have three) and update grub from it. Let's say you choose (hd0,2):

Note: is really important that you copy whatever menu.lst you want to use to that partition. Also, as I mentioned before, you will have to place the compiled kernel (vmlinuz) and the initrd of each distro to that partition (/boot). Make sure in menu.lst you point to the right root partition! Good luck

Code:
    grub> find /grub/stage1
    (hd0,2)
    grub> root (hd0,2)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    I agree I have a similar set up. And I did pretty much exactly that.

good luck.

Just burned his ISO

So you guys think that i should have a single /boot partition for all three Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, and Backtrack)?

Wouldn't there be issues with overwriting of files between distributions, thus cause boot issues..?

Thanks for the help!

Why would there be problems overwritting another distro since they're on diferent partitions, I mean, if you specified it was partition "X", it will not use partition "C" since you already specified witch partition its booting/using trough. . . (an opinion, not an expert :P)
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast