Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: BackTrack 4 Pre-final on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA

Just burned his ISO

Just a general note. After a fresh install, you may have to open wicd and move wlan0 from the 'wired interface' box to 'wireless interface' in the preferences.

Just burned his ISO

Default wireless and wired lan not working

Can anyone help..pretty new to linux.

I am having the problem with my wireless seeing AP's but wont connect, tried the compat wireless but cant get that to work.
    Also not seeing wire lan - does anyone have the AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9.tar.gz driver they could email me.

Note I have tried everything I can find on here but still no joy, all help much appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

I went and removed BT4 and installed ubuntu 9.10 with the aircrack suite.

It works great. So does the GMA 500 and the bluetooth.

PM me for details if you'd like to try.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I went and removed BT4 and installed ubuntu 9.10 with the aircrack suite. It works great. So does the GMA 500 and the bluetooth.
    PM me for details if you'd like to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_dai View Post
    Can anyone help..pretty new to linux.I am having the problem with my wireless seeing AP's but wont connect, tried the compat wireless but cant get that to work.Also not seeing wire lan - does anyone have the AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9.tar.gz driver they could email me.Note I have tried everything I can find on here but still no joy, all help much appreciated.

We do not support Ubuntu here, thanks for your understanding and compliance.
    Your other posts have been removed.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post

We do not support Ubuntu here, thanks for your understanding and compliance.
    Your other posts have been removed.
    I didn't think I was giving information for the technical support of ubuntu, just reminding guys that we can use some of the BT4 packaged tools on ubuntu. I also commented about how I found it faster than windows.

I figured this thread is for the support of the eeepcs and the backtrack collection of tools, that's why I posted what I did... for the eeepc users.

I'm shocked you deleted it, why did you find it worthy of moderation or deletion? Please PM if you'd like to keep it from the public.

Thanks!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I didn't think I was giving information for the technical support of ubuntu, just reminding guys that we can use some of the BT4 packaged tools on ubuntu. I also commented about how I found it faster than windows.
    One of the beauties of Linux is the compatibility amongst the different flavors. But it holds no relevance to this thread.
    I figured this thread is for the support of the eeepcs and the backtrack collection of tools, that's why I posted what I did... for the eeepc users.
    No the thread title is HOWTO: BackTrack 4 Pre-final on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA I would interpret that as how to get BT onto an specific computer. Nothing more nothing less.
    I'm shocked you deleted it, why did you find it worthy of moderation or deletion? Please PM if you'd like to keep it from the public.
    Thanks!
    Again I deleted it because we can not, nor will not, support or help with Ubuntu. They have their forum, Back Track has it's.
    This has been made clear to me by our Administrator. I made these posts so that there is no confusion amongst anyone that may have seen said posts, that you and the other OP made.

We have had several threads that deal with someone using Ubuntu instead of BT. This can cause various and sundry problems that we will not nor have time to tend to. It is nothing personal and there is nothing wrong with the two of you using the Private Message system to help one an other out.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

well this thread has been more than helpful in settin up bt4 on my new 1005ha. got ethernet working like a champ and got sound etc all set up because of the awesome peoples posts in this thread, however i still have one unresolved issue. i noticed someone else also had troubles connecting to wifi points. upon exhaustively searching the forums and google, i noticed someone else had this problem and it was suggested that the madwifi drivers may be the solution but ive found no corroboration as to whether this is a viable solution or not.

does anybody else have this solution or could it be a matter of me being too far away from a point to associate. i get an average level of around 20% and was able to connect to it from a different os, so im at a loss as to whether its a matter of the driver not functioning, or just not functioning as well as the previous OS. all im really look for is a corroboration whether the ath9k drivers for bt4 generally have a lower transmission power than other drivers for other linux os's

thanks!

EDIT: well i made a discovery. no matter what the level is im unable to associate with the AP. i ended up updating the kernel to 2.6.30.7 in the repos following mutz's guide on the blog and i managed to get wireless networking going, however my ethernet drivers died and no matter what i did ( had to grab the kernel header files and source for that version ) it wouldnt work.

im gonna try the compat-wireless again but last time it didnt work. i got madwifi-drivers from the repos on right now allowing me to see the AP's but you know the story. ive been throwing stuff across the room for the past few hours screaming because im unable to resolve this problem no matter how hard i try.

sry for the repost but i solved my problem

since the link given in the first post redirected to the site and not the file, i went into the root directory and grabbed the drivers. i first removed my madwifi drivers by running apt-get remove madwifi-drivers

then did

sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo make unload
    reboot

the transmission power is kinda shoddy on it, so i think im upgrade my card and add an external antenna. it doesnt like to connect when the level is below 30-35%. im not sure if this is average or not but its what ive experienced with my 1005ha-b.

as i said in my previous post im very thankful ive found this thread, i dont think i would have made it to this point without such a thread. backtrack 4 is a great OS. now that i got a handy file on setting up a system from fresh install, i shant have any problems any further. so in closing

THANKS AGAIN!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cgihooah View Post
    Can anyone confirm slickslacker's experience in getting the 1005HA to work? I'm considering a purchase but would like some more confidence that injection works.

Thanks

Just bought a eeepc 1005 yesterday (the seashell one) and got bt4-pf on it with no prob (yet) injection DOES work, that I can confirm. Still working on the wicd though. ..... Not really sure how to just connect with my bt box (for connecting to my own network) I use my MacBook Pro to surf/get everything, and it would be nice if I could just transfer over network vs. sneaker netting with my jump drives lol. I'll figure it out though. ..... If anyone has any helpful tips on this feel free, but I've been lurking on here for a while, and I'm not about to "ask" for help with this.... I know it's well discussed and I'll find something. lol....... you guys can be a bit rough sometimes lol.

But bottom line:

So far: EEEPC 1005 (sea shell box) BT4-pf installed, injection working 100%, vid card recognized. No mod, no code, no extra installs. Out the box seems to work just fine.

**NOTE** I am NO 'nix-guru! My word is not meant to be laid in stone. But, from this n00b, as I've said.... things do SEEM to be working just fine. ....So much so that if you're any bit good with 'nix (or searching google for that matter..... like me) ;-) then it seems as though you'll be able to get this box where you want it. The HW seems to play nicely with bt.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrotherOf View Post
    A quick note about compiling the wireless driver - it took me about an hour and twenty minutes on my 1005.
    I had similar luck... It's extremely slow on these atom-based machines.... I'd definetly recommend compiling it on a virtual / dual booting machine first and then transfering it over.

EDIT: Sorry about the re-post, I had tried editing the initial one and it did not allow me to.

Also I did things slightly different than the post specified here originally... I started out with installing from a usb stick using install.sh
    everything except my ethernet card seemed to work (wireless DID work, so I left it). I followed normal steps to install the drivers for this machine for the ethernet card.

I wanted to make this EXTREMELY CLEAR, because so far it hasn't been at times... from my experience injection SEEMS to work just fine with the default drivers provided on BT4

I hope this clears up some questions people might have... really though the OP was pretty much spot on about all things, except the difference of wireless working by default for me.

Just burned his ISO

Hello

I also want to state that I managed to get successful packet injection with little work...

After installing backtrack, the wireless card saw my wireless network, so I updated the kernal to 2.6.30.9. (I also downloaded the madwifi drivers via synaptec but didnt need to use these.) Updating the kernal didnt seem to give me wired ethernet though, and so if you want this you'll have to refer to the OP's instructions.

Cheers!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast