Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: BackTrack 4 Pre-final on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA

ok by following the steps above I was able to do some packet injection. Note that I tried using the default driver but it won't let me associate with my AP (am I talking nonsense?) so I installed the compat-wireless thingy and it works.

Although now, after rebooting, I type "sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start" and fire up the network manager like I used to do before changing the driver, and it doesn't show any AP's. As if it's unable to scan. Any ideas?
    Dum spiro spero

Quote Originally Posted by porbista View Post
    Note that I tried using the default driver but it won't let me associate with my AP (am I talking nonsense?) so I installed the compat-wireless thingy and it works.
    I can also verify that the default drivers will let you see networks, but not connect.
    I verified my USB wireless card does work and connect, and this card works and connects under windows, so it's the driver.

Just burned his ISO

I've got it all working injection wise, I am having a hard time with arp poisoning . In ettercap it seems to sometimes only find 1 host then rescan and it finds 4, then once again and it finds 1. Seems this laptop has a week wifi card or somthing. Use to be able to see 3-4 AP's from this location on my couch, now only 1, my home network. It connects at around 75%. Ettercap only deals with the AP right ? so aslong as things are connected to my AP they should show up as a host in ettercap ? ath9k driver's dont work with it ? im clueless
    Grammar takes to long.

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

Wireless working like a charm for me without installing anything stock bt4 Pre-Final ( /etc/init.d/wicd start && wicd_client & )

For the power management, I had some trouble installing eee-control ( functions keys, enable/disable cam, wifi, bluetooth, don't work for card-reader and overclock at the moment ).

I had to install it first from the official deb ( wget OFFICIAL_SITE/eee-control_0.9.4_all~hardy.deb && dpkg -i --force-all eee-control_0.9.4_all~hardy.deb ), then fix directly the scripts:

replace in /usr/bin/eee-control-daemon line 116 if type == "wlan": with
    if type == "wlan" and wlan_path == "/dev/null":

line 248 in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/EeeControl/actions.py add:
    if (self.brn_path == "/dev/null"):
    return 0xd0

Also be sure your model is defined somewhere in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/EeeControl/models.py .

Here are my mods to this file ( not a model, still testing every feature, you can always just add the first 3 lines, it should work good too ):

class EeePc1005HA(EeePc1002HA):
    def __init__(self, action):
    EeePc1002HA.__init__(self, action)
    self.extended_brightness = False
    self.brightness_superlow = 0
    self.brightness_superhigh = 0
    self.features = ["wifi", "bt", "touchpad", "reader", "camera"]

and in MODEL_MAP ( end of file ) "1005HA": EeePc1005HA,

Sorry too late in the night and too tired to produce a patch, but hope it'll help someone.

Appart from this, injection is working, did not test ethernet for the moment but I have faith it'll work pretty good too... great little piece of technology !

OFFICIAL_SITE = google for eee-control, first link, I don't have the rights to post links

[EDIT]
    @slickslacker : the reception issue "may" be power management related, I had the same with my 1005HA, when plugged on power, no reception troubles 83% quality indicated in wicd, when unplugged and low battery, low consumption mode, it's oscillating between 10 and 50%...
    Gotta work on this to be sure I'm not seeing something false...

@harrinp1: power management DOES work for lid close, install kpowersave (sudo aptitude install kpowersave ) and launch it as root ( sudo kpowersave in a console ). I got this up and running flawlessly, just have to figure how to make it run as my user instead of launching it as root...

For me, I just replaced the wireless card with one that's known to work. $25 and my headache is gone. I did have to modify the inside of the eee to get it to fit. Had to cut stuff and duct tape it in since it's twice as long as the 'half' card the eee comes with. It works perfect now though.

This is the card I picked if anyone else needs it: Gigabyte GN-WS50G-RH

Just burned his ISO

Hey Bud, was wondering if you still had the original ([459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9.tar.gz) driver. I checked out google and the Atheros site but they replaced that version with a AR813 Family v1.0.0.10 driver which doesnt seem to be compatible with my kernel. If you could email me or stick it on a FTP somewhere it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

yes drivers AR83 1.0.0.10 have to be patched in order to compile with a few warnings, but we don't care as soon as it works.

So to patch it:

in kcompat.h:

line 208-209:
    replace #define IRQ_HANDLED with #define IRQ_HANDLED 1
    and #define IRQ_NONE with #define IRQ_NONE 0

It should do the trick and allow you to compile and use the module.

Don't forget to have your kernel headers available.
    If you upgraded BT4 to kernel 2.6.30.5 there's no headers package available, I had to download source package and hack till I get those headers available with the good config. There should be informations on how to do that on various sources on the web, so it should not be too hard

Just burned his ISO

This netbook works great with packet injection using the driver in OP. I didn't research it's compatibility before trading my desktop for this, but I am lucky that it does work right out the box!

Just burned his ISO

well notice that my language is Spanish and my English is not very good

I install "BackTrack 4 pre-final" in my asus 1005ha

ethernet: this set, and I can navigate.

wireles: does not work with ifconfig on link encap: ethernet

Sound: Live mode, it worked, now I install it and does not work. I reinstall everything to do it from zero, but before installing alsa and did not work.

Any ideas?

Just burned his ISO

I'm using VMWare and I still cant get the wireless card working.

Is there a problem with the new drivers?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast