Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: BackTrack 4 Pre-final on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA

slickslacker

Default Injection Working - Increase TX Power ?

It turns out that packet injection does work with default wireless drivers on BT-4-pre-final. The only driver for networking that needs to be added is for the eth0 device. The above instructions describe that process well.

The reason I thought it was not working was because my base station was too far away. I moved closer to the base station and it worked fine...

Anyone have any ideas for how to increase the transmit power of the wireless card on the 1005HA?

Just burned his ISO

Can anyone confirm slickslacker's experience in getting the 1005HA to work? I'm considering a purchase but would like some more confidence that injection works.

Thanks

1005ha

Quote Originally Posted by slickslacker View Post
    It turns out that packet injection does work with default wireless drivers on BT-4-pre-final. The only driver for networking that needs to be added is for the eth0 device. The above instructions describe that process well.

The reason I thought it was not working was because my base station was too far away. I moved closer to the base station and it worked fine...

Anyone have any ideas for how to increase the transmit power of the wireless card on the 1005HA?
    - So i would just like to confirm, packet injection does infact does work on the 1005ha with ar9285?

- does the wireless assistant in backtrack detect the wireless card?

- And can you please post the intruction on installing the eth0 driver as i have tried installing that on backtrack 3 but i was able to get it to install.

thanks

Just burned his ISO

slickslacker, how far away was your base station?

I'm trying to understand if the AR9285 transmits weakly in general or if you may have just been in a situation with many walls and distance in-between, which could affect any wireless connection?

Just burned his ISO

i cant seem to understand the directions on the linux wireless page on how to get the drivers working.

does anyone know anything that would help me....thanks

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by 1005ha View Post
    - So i would just like to confirm, packet injection does infact does work on the 1005ha with ar9285?

- does the wireless assistant in backtrack detect the wireless card?

- And can you please post the intruction on installing the eth0 driver as i have tried installing that on backtrack 3 but i was able to get it to install.

thanks
    Here's the result of an injection test:

Code:
    root@bt:~# airmon-ng start wlan0

Found 2 processes that could cause trouble.
    If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after
    a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!

PID     Name
    9449    wpa_supplicant
    9490    dhclient
    Process with PID 9449 (wpa_supplicant) is running on interface wlan0
    Process with PID 9490 (dhclient) is running on interface wlan0

Interface       Chipset         Driver

wlan0           Atheros         ath9k - [phy0]
                                    (monitor mode enabled on mon0)

root@bt:~# aireplay-ng -9 mon0
    03:26:09  Trying broadcast probe requests...
    03:26:09  Injection is working!
    03:26:11  Found 1 AP

03:26:11  Trying directed probe requests...
    03:26:11  XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX - channel: 11 - '*REMOVED*'
    03:26:11  Ping (min/avg/max): 2.101ms/4.544ms/6.888ms Power: -28.03
    03:26:11  30/30: 100%
    wicd didn't recognize the card until I installed the drivers and then I changed the wireless interface from 'eth1' to 'wlan0' in preferences.

A quick note about compiling the wireless driver - it took me about an hour and twenty minutes on my 1005.

_jond

For everyone here who has the 10'' EEE. Any reason you went with the 10'' over the 9'' or 7" other than simply preference?
    I'm trying to decide to go 9'' or 10''.

You're going to want the fullscreen 10"
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by _jond View Post
    For everyone here who has the 10'' EEE. Any reason you went with the 10'' over the 9'' or 7" other than simply preference?
    I'm trying to decide to go 9'' or 10''.

I really liked my 9" (900HA), but I love my 10" 1005HA. The 900's keyboard is just too small. I don't have big fingers, and I still had a hard time being consistent with keystrokes. The 10" screen is a bonus, but I could've lived with the 9" just fine if it weren't for the keyboard.

Also, the 900HA's wireless card seems to work quite nicely right out of the box with BT3 (and probably 4, but I dunno) whereas I had to do a few extra steps (see the original post in this thread) to get wireless to play nicely (injection) with BT4.

Get the 10", it's worth it.

Just burned his ISO

I finally found time to test injection with my Asus 1005HA-M.
    When I installed backtrack 4 (on HDD) I immediately installed the wireless driver the topicstarter gave here. So I haven't tested with default driver, only with the one the TS gave.

And it works! Injection works! Woho!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast