Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: BackTrack 4 Pre-final on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA

Just burned his ISO

Post HOWTO: BackTrack 4 Pre-final on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA

All-

Thought I would share my experience in getting BT4 Pre-final working on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA (this is the new Seashell model). Out of the box Audio, Video, USB all function correctly, however Wireless/Ethernet are a no go. I haven't tested Bluetooth; but I'll add to this post if I come across any issues. For now I'll cover Wireless/Ethernet and a GRUB mod, then add to this post as necessary as I come across something.

To start, I've performed a full install of BT4 according the multitude of guides around.

The 1005HA uses the following Atheros Chipsets:

AR9285 for Wireless
    AR8132 for Ethernet

Step 1: AR8132 Ethernet Chipset Driver

Download the following Driver from Atheros ([459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9.tar.gz) on another box and transfer to the EEE:
    hxxp://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=93]Atheros Communications

Untar, make, make install, then:
    insmod arl1e
    ifconfig eth0 up
    /etc/init.d/networking start

Yay Ethernet works, now you can grab the Wireless driver.

Step 2: AR9285 Wireless Chipset

Download the Linux Wireless driver:

hxxp://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2

And follow the instructions for make, install, make unload as directed on:

hxxp://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

Then reboot. Wireless should be up and happy... although I haven't tested injection yet (I will tonight and report back).

SUPER EXTRA BONUS: GRUB Boot Options

Since the EEE PC has a lower resolution than the default BT4 kernel parameters you have to make one change in order avoid the annoying "Hit enter to select VGA or press Space to continue" (or something along those lines) message when booting.

vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

Scroll down and modify the default kernel boot option (scroll right) from:

vga=0x317

to:

vga=0x315

Save and then reboot.

Enjoy your new EEE!

shadow-box

I think this belongs in the how to section.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Pardon my ignorance

But how did you installed the atheros Ethernet driver if there's no acces to Internet to be downloaded to it can you please explain because I have the same problem everything works but wireless card needs the driver

Just burned his ISO

Pretty easy, you've gotta have another computer OR go into your winXP OS, download the Ethernet driver and THEN go into your BT OS and install the driver! after that.. you just connect your eeepc with the ethernet cable and take the wireless driver and install them as it's written! (in fact I just reworded what he said first) ^^

Could someone please report if the packet injection is working? or do we need the madwifi driver?

Well I replyed but the site doesn't show it so just in case:

You get the eternet driver before installing BT4 (on another computer, or on winxp) or .. just on winxp if you dualboot! You save it on a usb key / SD card and than you install it on BT4, once it's installed, you can take the wireless driver and there you go!

By the way: can anyone report if packet injection work? Or do we need madwifi?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zebadboy View Post
    Well I replyed but the site doesn't show it so just in
    I bet that if you would have read the rules you agreed to when you signed up you would know why your post did not show up.
    Might be a good idea.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Hi,

Im thinking of purchasing the asus 1005HA. Can anyone confirm if the wifi card is suitable for running backtrack 4? (e.g. packet injection)

Thanks!
    Dum spiro spero

Just burned his ISO

I have the same laptop...

I got wireless working without an issue by following the video and just simply entering

/etc/init.d/wicd start

then simply going to the wireless manager and put in the WEP key we use.... the Pre-Final worked fine with the wireless card.

I just read your post though on wired and am about to try it... so far I haven't gotten it to work yet.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by shadow-box View Post
    All-

Thought I would share my experience in getting BT4 Pre-final working on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA (this is the new Seashell model). Out of the box Audio, Video, USB all function correctly, however Wireless/Ethernet are a no go. I haven't tested Bluetooth; but I'll add to this post if I come across any issues. For now I'll cover Wireless/Ethernet and a GRUB mod, then add to this post as necessary as I come across something.

To start, I've performed a full install of BT4 according the multitude of guides around.

The 1005HA uses the following Atheros Chipsets:

AR9285 for Wireless
    AR8132 for Ethernet

Step 1: AR8132 Ethernet Chipset Driver

Download the following Driver from Atheros ([459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9.tar.gz) on another box and transfer to the EEE:
    hxxp://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=93]Atheros Communications

Untar, make, make install, then:
    insmod arl1e
    ifconfig eth0 up
    /etc/init.d/networking start

Yay Ethernet works, now you can grab the Wireless driver.

Step 2: AR9285 Wireless Chipset

Download the Linux Wireless driver:

hxxp://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2

And follow the instructions for make, install, make unload as directed on:

hxxp://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

Then reboot. Wireless should be up and happy... although I haven't tested injection yet (I will tonight and report back).

SUPER EXTRA BONUS: GRUB Boot Options

Since the EEE PC has a lower resolution than the default BT4 kernel parameters you have to make one change in order avoid the annoying "Hit enter to select VGA or press Space to continue" (or something along those lines) message when booting.

vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

Scroll down and modify the default kernel boot option (scroll right) from:

vga=0x317

to:

vga=0x315

Save and then reboot.

Enjoy your new EEE!

shadow-box
    +

did not work for me

Just burned his ISO

Thanks that worked a tread for wired and wireless.

Does power management work on these, I closed the lid while BT4 was running and rather than suspending it just overheated!

slickslacker

Default My Experience

I was able to get the ethernet working by installing the drivers from atheros... The wifi drivers worked by default by running wicd.

I have not been able to do any packet injection with the wireless card and default drivers though...

I attempted to install the latest wireless drivers as described above but it did not work. When I tried to load the modules it gave errors about missing some symbols...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast