All-

Thought I would share my experience in getting BT4 Pre-final working on a Asus EEE PC 1005HA (this is the new Seashell model). Out of the box Audio, Video, USB all function correctly, however Wireless/Ethernet are a no go. I haven't tested Bluetooth; but I'll add to this post if I come across any issues. For now I'll cover Wireless/Ethernet and a GRUB mod, then add to this post as necessary as I come across something.

To start, I've performed a full install of BT4 according the multitude of guides around.

The 1005HA uses the following Atheros Chipsets:

AR9285 for Wireless
AR8132 for Ethernet

Step 1: AR8132 Ethernet Chipset Driver

Download the following Driver from Atheros ([459]AR813X-linux-v1.0.0.9.tar.gz) on another box and transfer to the EEE:
hxxp://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=93]Atheros Communications

Untar, make, make install, then:
insmod arl1e
ifconfig eth0 up
/etc/init.d/networking start

Yay Ethernet works, now you can grab the Wireless driver.

Step 2: AR9285 Wireless Chipset

Download the Linux Wireless driver:

hxxp://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2

And follow the instructions for make, install, make unload as directed on:

hxxp://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

Then reboot. Wireless should be up and happy... although I haven't tested injection yet (I will tonight and report back).

SUPER EXTRA BONUS: GRUB Boot Options

Since the EEE PC has a lower resolution than the default BT4 kernel parameters you have to make one change in order avoid the annoying "Hit enter to select VGA or press Space to continue" (or something along those lines) message when booting.

vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

Scroll down and modify the default kernel boot option (scroll right) from:

vga=0x317

to:

vga=0x315

Save and then reboot.

Enjoy your new EEE!

shadow-box