Thread: How to install BT3

Just burned his ISO

Default How to install BT3

Hi all

I know that BT3 can be installed on hard disk. However in version 3, there is no GUI installer (not even a text based one). I want to install it on my HDD. can someone can tell me how to do the same?

I heard that if I copy all the data on the Live FS to the disk and then bind the /dev directory to the new installation then it would work. however I do not know how to do that. can someone tell me?

Developer

Whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK IN THE BT3 HOW TO & TUTORIAL SECTION. We would never ever put it there.

I know that BT3 can be installed on hard disk. However in version 3, there is no GUI installer (not even a text based one).[/QUOTE]

Uh ***********, look at how to install BT2 from the terminal and do the same with BT3. End of story.

For future reference BT3 isnt about GUI get use to using the terminal.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Just burned his ISO

Good. I know I am a KID. No need to tell that. And that was why i had put it here. ANyway The problem was: I never saw in my USER CP that the threads were getting diplayed with the newest post first and so I was totally confused. Hah. Sorry guys... lemme see the things and then will get back to you people.

Thanks anyway

Just burned his ISO

As one noob to another- might I suggest that you try the "Search" function. Much use of that particular button will save you much embarrassment , both here and on other forums, in the future.

What annoys people is the fact that posting such a question makes the reader think that maybe you are just being lazy. Its nothing to do with your age ( how would we know how old you are?)

Just burned his ISO

I am not talking about the age anyway.

Now, I followed the steps and I am getting a kernel panic.

It says: "not syncing, no init found".

I have 3 partitions :

/dev/sda1 : 100 MB (ext3) mounted on /boot
    /dev/sda2 : 512MB (swap) mounted as a swapfile
    /dev/sda3 : 7.4G (ext3) mounted on /

My lilo.conf says

root=/dev/sda3

The rest are fine. I followed the steps which were provided in the tut.
    Now, how do i pass the location of init to the kernel?

Just burned his ISO

Hi, I have the same problem too, I use hda
    Says
    Warning: unable to open an initial console
    Kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
    and it hangs....

Just burned his ISO

Since I suppose you were born with all the linux knowledge in the world and never had any baby steps you feel confident that you can be a sarcastic jerk and people will love it!
    Grow up--everybody learning linux/unix has to stumble around for quite awhile until they get comfortable with it. Think of this: did you boot linux on your first try?

Quote Originally Posted by peeceedude View Post
    Since I suppose you were born with all the linux knowledge in the world and never had any baby steps you feel confident that you can be a sarcastic jerk and people will love it!
    Grow up--everybody learning linux/unix has to stumble around for quite awhile until they get comfortable with it. Think of this: did you boot linux on your first try?
    Well BT is clearly not the distro to use to learn linux and take your baby steps with. See for most of the people it is a "hacking" distro coming with all the nice and shiny tools.They use it cause they want to be l33t and show off how they can easily hack into their neighbors wlan or maybe their l33t skills with using fasttrack/metasploit to pwn. If you ask people to learn the basics they loose interest or will act like I know the basics. Later you read questions like this and that is not working, why is it not working?

If you are new and read some sarcastic comments it might shock you, but if you are around for long enough and see that it is always the same, yeah you might be sarcastic sometimes.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá