Thread: Outdated BT Tutorial in Summer 2009 2600

Default Outdated BT Tutorial in Summer 2009 2600

I was walking through my local Barnes and Nobel today and saw that a new issue of 2600 was out. So I paged through it to see what articles were in it and an article titled "Simple How-to on Wireless and Windows Cracking" was there. The article boils down to the author KES setting up BT, changing his mac, cracking some weps, and then talking about wpa, metasploit and cain & abel. While none of these are tricky, new, or covered in depth they are unfortunately based upon BT3. I wouldn't be suprised to find an influx of people using bad information generating lots of covered questions as a result of this article.
    ~Monovitae~

Quote Originally Posted by monovitae View Post
    I was walking through my local Barnes and Nobel today and saw that a new issue of 2600 was out. So I paged through it to see what articles were in it and an article titled "Simple How-to on Wireless and Windows Cracking" was there. The article boils down to the author KES setting up BT, changing his mac, cracking some weps, and then talking about wpa, metasploit and cain & abel. While none of these are tricky, new, or covered in depth they are unfortunately based upon BT3. I wouldn't be suprised to find an influx of people using bad information generating lots of covered questions as a result of this article.
    So what's new?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Junior Member imported_painter13's Avatar

As if that was not the case already....

The problem with publishing in 2600 is that as a quarterly, a lot can happen between the time of article submission and printing. I was able to get them to accept some edits (a mention of the BT4-beta and some drivers that were patched in the interim...of course then pre-final came out). While the information is admittedly dated, I don't believe it is incorrect, so wouldn't expect an overwhelming influx of questions (but to your point, since they are old issues, hopefully new users will search first). Also, yes, nothing new or tricky, but it was a "simple how-to"...not a "brand new 0day for experienced pentesters only." I'm also beginning to write a response article/letter to anticipated questions [such as clarifying monitor mode], so if there is a key item anyone thinks should be included, please let me know and I'll include that (no guarantee they'll accept the piece for publication though).

Just a suggestion, but if they don't take it as an article, see if they'll publish it as a letter.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.