Thread: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L F4 running BT4 Pre-final

Just burned his ISO

Default Gigabyte EP43-UD3L F4 running BT4 Pre-final

DYI rig BT4-ing well with all but my USB speakers fully operational. No major issues aside from a bit of fruitless USB sound device noodling. I ordinarily have 3 audio devices on this machine - and consider this sound issue a minor issue at best.

With a USB QuickCam Pro for notebooks, USB Alpha instrument injector box (used to record musical instruments to Audacity under windows), and my USB Bose Audio, the Bose speakers are listing "third" on the KMix's list of audio devices. Unplugged the other two USB Audio devices/reboot to troubleshoot and I'm left with the USB well-identified but still no audio out of and I am getting a rash of device errors on boot, but the Bose now obviously lists as the only sound device. And yep, "Enable the sound system" is on. Both forcing audio device selection to ALSA and "autodetect" fail to work.

Still, terrific work on the build; I'll mess with the on-board audio and confirm that's working and if I *really* need sound while doing pen testing may move some analog speakers to this machine.

Inexpensive DIY parts off the shelf from Micro Center.
    Gigabyte EP43-UD3L- F4 motherboard
    all motherboard default devices "on"; Motherboard onboard audio ("Azalia Codec" - disabled)
    onboard gigE nic works fine
    Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 ghz 4 gb, edit: now 8 gb ram, but just 4 gb visible.
    NVIDIA 295

peripherals:
    logitech G15 works fine pre-boot when mobo's "usb legacy keyboard" option = on. Wasn't allowing me to use the keys for up/down/enter on the boot menu with that option off.

Logitech MX Revolution / LZ641BJ mouse (5-button / 2 wheel gaming mouse) registers 2b+1wheel no problem with the basics and I have not tried nor needed to deal with any other buttons. Feedback requested if anyone's gone down the path to get full support for this device (using the side wheel for a volume control on the side of the mouse is handy at times). Official logitech forae indicate officially that Logitech isn't supplying Linux drivers... despite supporting Mac OS. go figure. no obvious improvement towards linux support in the first 3 pages of forums.logitech.com.

Aside from sound and full-mouse integration, it boots well and is up and running with typical steps - start networking; nvidia-xconfig then startx to get the nvidia-friendly X config file in place.

CUDA libraries up and running CUDA-multiforcer-32 @
    4200M/sec MD5,
    5670M/sec NTLM
    Whee!

I started to hate Gigabyte computers, it's not working right on my Gugabyte U60, it wont load the grub menu, instead it gives me the grub>_

Just burned his ISO

Be certain that your ISO is valid. I received that behavior also until downloading the ISO again and comparing the files... second time was the charm, the image was about 40mb larger. In my case it was likely due to disk capacity issue during the image <save-to-temp-file, copy to real location> operation.

I should have pointed out in my original post that I also have another USB stick inserted in my machine as a Windows 7 "Ready boost" drive.

Can anyone comment on install.sh perhaps being thrown off by the presence of a second USB that is not being used for anything related to BT? Persistence settings?

This Gigabyte motherboard has two BIOS features that can confuse the boot process. One indicates "boot order", there one specifies USB boot over CD over HD and so on - no news there. The second related BIOS option specifies the order in WHICH disk devices should be booted. This option appears to be present in order to allow the user to specify which SATA or PATA drive you want booted during uninterrupted POST operations. It also places USB media on the list of poetntial boot drives. Worse, perhaps is that inserting and removing USB media pre-POST can throw off the list of drives and their boot order. I have had to be certain that my USB stick being used for Ready Boost is listed BELOW HDA and below /dev/sdc so that "normal" boot operations work as anticipated. (And yes, I'm being a bit lazy not removing the Win7 Ready Boot/cache device stick out when BT is running.)

My goal is a machine that ordinarily boots into Win7 so that my better half will sit down, press the power button and have the computer behave normally. I'll potentially leave the BT4 USB in and reboot and press F12 to pick "USB-HDD" and have BT run.

Nothing wrong btw with meeting the above goal, however one run-in with install.sh and an attempt to use it to copy from a 4gb to an 8gb USB resulted in reaching for the Windows repair DVD yesterday and moments of terror before I realized the "disk error" was due to attempts to boot the Ready Boost disk... not HDA. /sigh.

Just burned his ISO

So interesting. I like it personally and hope you'll bring us more amazing stuffs.

Just burned his ISO

Default audio

Quick follow up, the on-board audio system works just fine on subject motherboard.