Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kernel upgrade 2.6.30

Default kernel upgrade 2.6.30

I try to install kernel 2.6.30, downloaded by BackTrack Information Security Distribution image.deb

when try dpkg -i linux...deb

i received a error:

try to overwrite "/lib/firmware/ess/maestro3_assp_minisrc.fw", which is also in pachkage linux-image-2.6.29.4

You know you're going to break a lot of stuff if you upgrade the kernel right?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keeley View Post
    I try to install kernel 2.6.30, downloaded by BackTrack Information Security Distribution image.deb

when try dpkg -i linux...deb

i received a error:

try to overwrite "/lib/firmware/ess/maestro3_assp_minisrc.fw", which is also in pachkage linux-image-2.6.29.4
    There is a patch for the kernel as well as an upgrade see here
    BackTrack Information Security Distribution
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Thread moved to an appropriate section, infraction given for not reading what a forum is good for.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

i extract data.tar.gz from linux-image... .deb
    then extract boot usr lib to an temp dir,
    then overwrite (firmware dir) to /

then "update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.30.4" to create initrd image and manually add new kernel to /boot/grub/menu.lst

now try to reboot :-D

edit : some problem to recompile nvidia driver on 2.6.30.4 (im looking for linux header) but i think all work
    acer 5920g , 345abg , nvidia 8600m
    bt5 kde 64bit + acpi + cuda 4.0 / nvidia 270.40 / pyrit

Has somebody else on the forum upgraded to '30.4'...please post us(with non-upgraded kernels) experience in running environment in the meaning of some working issues such as compatibility, stability, behaviour etc. thx

I have not done kernel upgrades on bt4 but I used to do it on bt2. I must say you will break all the pre-patched wireless modules and stack which were originally able to handle injection and what not. You will then break stuff like xorg setup and may have to rely on generic or even vesa mode driver until you manually compiled the right driver to regain the same experience.

That's just barely the tip of the iceberg once you managed to get the kernel to boot up correctly after going through kernel panics.

I second that.

Moreover what's the point ? Do you have to make some exotic stuff work that's not yet handled by the current kernel ?
    Aside from that, I can't see why that should be a good idea...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by ~LCF~ View Post
    I second that.

Moreover what's the point ? Do you have to make some exotic stuff work that's not yet handled by the current kernel ?
    Aside from that, I can't see why that should be a good idea...
    to fix a security issue

blog.cr0.org/2009/08/linux-null-pointer-dereference-due-to.html

I've been waiting for that
    Well, 5 little things make it quite funny...

1) Please read that : 2.6.30 kernels are still touched by this problem...
    2) The probability to be attacked is extremely low... Well, that's not a reason to act crazy, but even if you're attacked, it's quite easy to protect yourself in order not to be included in a botnet or to get your passwords stolen... Furthermore : you won't use BT on a sever (if so, you've not understood anything), so the danger/interest of such an attack is bitterly limited...
    3) Please think about pros and cons : you'll loose almost everything (modules, some appz, injection, etc.) to get a LITTLE more protected... If you want to use your own kernel, I'd advise you to go back to ubuntu then : it'll be as secured as you can expect (well, most of the time... Give Debian a try...) and the whole is well build so that there won't be structure issues in the distro if you upgrade it...
    4) BTW even if the dev crew decided to use Ubuntu instead of Slackware, it's still not recommended to install BT onto your hard-drive. A live USB stick is *MUCH* more secured than a real installation : if your REALLY want to protect yourself, and not just use "security" to hardly justify a nonsens, try OpenBSD ! (just kidding) No, use a live USB stick and make it check the integrity of the system with whatever hash you can find (well, some packages would do that automatically for you).
    5) Misbehaving programs or modules can often be easily exploited...

Well, I think you've understood : upgrading the kernel might break your system. This special (and highly modified) kernel IS backtrack, if you upgrade it, you'll loose backtrack and go back to a misbehaving Ubuntu... And this security problem can be fixed using a live USB (possibly hardened for the purpose if you really want it)... That's not the only way to do it, but it appears to be a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast