Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BT4 (pre)final ATI guide

Just burned his ISO

Default guide not working

I've tried following the guide and my card is still does not appear under list_cores. I also tried executing the following:

root@bt:/lib/modules/fglrx# ./make_install.sh
    root@bt:/lib/modules/fglrx# modprobe fglrx
    root@bt:/lib/modules/fglrx# pyrit list_cores
    Pyrit 0.2.3 (C) 2008, 2009 Lukas Lueg - Project Hosting on Google Code[/url]
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3

The ESSID-blobspace seems to be empty; you should create an ESSID...

The following cores seem available...
    #1: 'CPU-Core (x86)'
    Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 719: _dl_close: Assertion 'map->1_init_called' failed!

My system is a clean install of BT4-pre-final. I'm running an Intel Xeon 3110 and an ATI Radeon 4850. I'm about to give up and buy an nVidia card. Can anyone help with this?

UPDATE:
    Got it working. I didn't realize that stream requires running in graphical mode. I executed startx and now my graphics card appears.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    UPDATE:
    Got it working. I didn't realize that stream requires running in graphical mode. I executed startx and now my graphics card appears.
    Should have probably made this "observation" in one of my posts . . . yep . . . I found the same thing . . . Xorg gotta be running. If you see a "splash-fix" or "fix-splash" mentioned by others to get the nice looking splash screen while it's booting (in text mode), don't use it as it makes use of a (VESA ???) "frame buffer" mode that is apparently incompatible with the ATi fglrx drivers when they load. Appears to work, but if you log out of KDE (and Xorg), you end up with an ugly rainbow of colors on an unreadable text screen.

One advisory . . . don't allow Pyrit to update! It will "break" ati-stream. Had to do a reinstall yesterday when I accidentally let that happen. Also don't do the kernel upgrade (per the blog) . . . that also "broke" it when I tried that too. I'm waiting now until the new kernel is fully integrated instead of an upgrade that breaks some things I want to use. Aside from Pyrit and the new kernel (and new kernel network device drivers), everything else can be upgraded (worked for me yesterday).

Also tried a few more experiments and still can't get ati-stream to use more than one GPU core . . . albiet it uses all available CPU cores (now using a quad-core Phenom II).
    John

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by jalind View Post
    One advisory . . . don't allow Pyrit to update! It will "break" ati-stream. Had to do a reinstall yesterday when I accidentally let that happen. Also don't do the kernel upgrade (per the blog) . . . that also "broke" it when I tried that too. I'm waiting now until the new kernel is fully integrated instead of an upgrade that breaks some things I want to use. Aside from Pyrit and the new kernel (and new kernel network device drivers), everything else can be upgraded (worked for me yesterday).
    I didn't break mine to prove it, but for anyone who wants to install updates without breaking it, the following worked for me...

apt-get install wajig
    wajig hold ati-drivers
    wajig hold atistream
    wajig hold pyrit
    wajig hold cpyrit-stream

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    I didn't break mine to prove it, but for anyone who wants to install updates without breaking it, the following worked for me...

apt-get install wajig
    wajig hold ati-drivers
    wajig hold atistream
    wajig hold pyrit
    wajig hold cpyrit-stream
    Learned something new with this one . . . I'm a real n00b with Linux . . . some of what I've had to do getting this all working has had a steep learning curve (starting with using ifconfig and dhclient to get an Ethernet port up and working from a bash prompt . . . so I could get the backtrack-ati which contains the proper ATi drivers installed to get to a GUI :-) ). Thanks . . . it also holds them from being upgraded when using Synaptic too.
    John

Just burned his ISO

I know this stuff will all eventually be packaged up, but for the sake of learning something new, if anyone could write a guide on manually installing the latest ATI driver, ATI SDK, Kernel and compiling the latest versions of Pyrit and CPyrit-Stream from scratch... that would be AWESOME. I have tried this on my own and have not been successful, even after manually performing the ATI SDK "bug fix hacks".

Also, is anyone aware of a ATI Stream based app that can generate tables for later use with rcrack or ophcrack?

Just burned his ISO

Since this topic is already debates ati, stream and pyrit, maybe someone could give me a hand:

Code:
    pyrit list_cores
    Pyrit 0.2.3 (C) 2008, 2009 Lukas Lueg pyrit.googlecode*com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3

The ESSID-blobspace seems to be empty; you should create an ESSID...

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/pyrit", line 531, in <module>
        sys.exit(Pyrit_CLI().initFromArgv())
      File "/usr/bin/pyrit", line 92, in initFromArgv
        }.setdefault(commands[0] if len(commands) > 0 else 'help', self.print_help)()
      File "/usr/bin/pyrit", line 143, in list_cores
        import cpyrit
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/cpyrit.py", line 149, in <module>
        class StreamCore(Core, _cpyrit_stream.StreamDevice):
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'StreamDevice'
    I had installed the ati drivers before reading that I should install ati-backtrack directly. Should that be the origin of my problem?

Thanks

mister|x

Hi All,

I would like to take opportunity of this discussion to know if the procedure to install the ATI drivers in the BT4 final release is the same of the BT4 pre final.

Thanks,

haven't been able to get it to work either check...
    ati-driver installation error

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12