Thread: Live CD Boot

Hybrid View

Default Live CD Boot

I have searched the forums and looked at the Definitive Guide FAQs, but cannot answer this simple question.

I used to use BT1 and BT2, it has been awhile and now I see BT4 is out (wow time flies). I burned the iso to a DVD and booted from it, although at the root@bt: prompt, the usual 'bt' doesn't load backtrack. What am I missing?

I did a ls on the contents and got install.sh, so tried to sh install.sh but didn't get any further. I was familiar with BT 1 and 2, but am not so familiar with slax.

Can someone help me get past this and into BT? This seems so easy yet I'm spinning my wheels.

Thanks

did you try typing startx?
    also did you check the md5sum of the iso before you burned it and did you burn it at the lowest speed?
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bound4h View Post
    I was familiar with BT 1 and 2, but am not so familiar with slax.
    Seems contradictory there.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Seems contradictory there.
    probably a horrible attempt to not seem like a nub XD
    Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious...

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectZero View Post
    probably a horrible attempt to not seem like a nub XD
    Funny I used to use BT 1 and 2 quite a bit and knew the tools and how to use them. However, when interacting with the kernel itself, I am not so sharp with slax (basic stuff one should know).

Anyways, startx did work. After I popped in my old BT2 USB, I remembered startx. I got it working with BT2 so didn't need BT4. What are the great enhancements between the two? More programs loaded, more wifi drivers supported? I haven't played with BT4 yet to know, just wondering.

Thanks for the help