Thread: VMware Workstation - Backtrack - WG111v2 Realtek RTL-8187L chipset

Just burned his ISO

Default VMware Workstation - Backtrack - WG111v2 Realtek RTL-8187L chipset

Hello everyone!

Recently I had installed Backtrack 3 using VMware Workstation. And I have wireless USB adapter WG111v2 Realtek RTL-8187L chipset and I can't get it to work. I have looked like a million posts and web pages about this, but I couldn't find a good tutorial or explanation how to get this USB adapter to work in Backtrack 3. When I plug the adapter the Backtrack detects it, but when I try to configure, it gives me a choise from 5 or 6 drivers and when I choose one of them an error pops out - cannot start wpa_supplicant. And then it seems like the USB adapter is woorkin, but in is not detecting any wireless networks /and that is impossible, because my router is like 2 meters from my laptop/.

Also I have tried to install this diver - Realtek RTL8187L Wireless Driver 1.10 Linux Kernel 2.6. But it seems it's not possible, because I am using a virtual machine and it can't create/find the folders which are required to install the driver. That is how I understand all the errors when I was trying to insall it.

If someone have managed to get this to work please... please tell me how? Or if there is a post or a tutorial that I didn't found please let me know.

Thank you in advance!
    Regards!

P.S. Sorry for the bad English

Hey nikolay100,
    I'm sorry I cannot be of more help to your problem, but I can indeed confirm that I do as well have a WG111v2 (Realtek RTL-8187L) and it works OTB with Backtrack 3 in a VM.

As you said Backtrack detects it, but what do you mean "When I try to configure"?
    I didn't have to do anything unusual to get it to work in managed mode or monitor mode

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Hey nikolay100,
    I'm sorry I cannot be of more help to your problem, but I can indeed confirm that I do as well have a WG111v2 (Realtek RTL-8187L) and it works OTB with Backtrack 3 in a VM.

As you said Backtrack detects it, but what do you mean "When I try to configure"?
    I didn't have to do anything unusual to get it to work in managed mode or monitor mode
    Having problems too Laptop with chipsetcard RTL8139 and use WG111v2
    to connect to router. I`m able to go online (Firefox). But dont get any respons when trying airmon-ng (can`t find the chipset).
    Running Backtrack4 with Vmware.

Can you please tell me your settings in Vmware, and so on??

Just burned his ISO

Thanks to all!
    Yes I tried BT4 and it works. The range is quite poor though. Probably the reason is the quality of the adapter
    Regards!