Thread: How to back up a user profile?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default How to back up a user profile?

Hi, I searched through the forum on this but there was absolutely nothing so my question is....is there a way for us to back up our user profile and keep all our desktop setting and themes? I really want to be able to upgrade once bt4 finals comes out, but I don't want to have to start from scratch (themes and stuff)

Thanks

I have a feeling what you want to use is rsync I use this to back up all sorts of stuff like accounts. I am sure you will find your answers in the link. Anybody know of a better way to do what NEWBIEPAT972 wants?

All the best
    onryo
    Let me explain officer, I am not a hacker. I am a security tester of sorts!

Quote Originally Posted by onryo View Post
    I have a feeling what you want to use is rsync I use this to back up all sorts of stuff like accounts. I am sure you will find your answers in the link. Anybody know of a better way to do what NEWBIEPAT972 wants?

All the best
    onryo
    An rsync to an external drive is correct.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

My guess is that it would be a bad idea to do this because BT4 Final will probably be different. But I'm just guessing of course.

A good start is just to copy your home folder, pick whatever config files you need out of it (paying particular attention to the hidden files that start with a fullstop).

Try this to see all hidden files in your home folder:

Code:
    cd
    ls -a
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    My guess is that it would be a bad idea to do this because BT4 Final will probably be different. But I'm just guessing of course.

A good start is just to copy your home folder, pick whatever config files you need out of it (paying particular attention to the hidden files that start with a fullstop).

Try this to see all hidden files in your home folder:

Code:
    cd
    ls -a

Damn that doesn't sound good...well no worries I suppose I could always installed a new theme it's just that this one took forever since I was a little new to linux, but found the tools in BT4 very interesting. I've already decrypted my first wep key (on my own network ) and getting used to the command lines.

If the BT4 final turns out into a completely different mechanism then I will take the rsyn advice

Now I'm off to reading through the forums and watching videos on nmap, nessus, and metaploit

btw I love this forum, very helpful people and thank you guys for the responding

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NEWBIEPAT972 View Post
    Damn that doesn't sound good...well no worries I suppose I could always installed a new theme it's just that this one took forever
    There must be some sort of "Theme Export" facility in the Theme Manager.

(Actually I checked just there and it seems there isn't!)

Next port of call would be to do a web search on how to manually export a KDE theme... I suspect it's a simple as doing something like copying a ".kdetheme" file to "/usr/themes" or something like that.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".