Thread: Orinoco Gold (patched silver) not working

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Orinoco Gold (patched silver) not working

My Orinoco Gold PCMCIA-WLAN-Card (has been patched firmware from a silver card) is not be found in BT4 pre-final.

With dmesg only my Intel Pro 1000 R45 Card is appearing, no line with the orinoco. The system only noticed, that a PCMCIA-Card was pluged in (neither which model nor other information)

In the "auditor edtion" (auditor-200605, live cd) (I think this was a antecessor of BTx) this card is working fine with the orinoco 0.13e driver (on the same hardware).
    (Detail: Lucent/Agere 8.72, auditor dmesg output)

But I need the new and excellent features... how can I get this card working under BT4 pre-final.

Could not find related post for this standard card... so it's posible that is my fault - I'm a linux newbie... but on other Hardware, my onboard Intel 3945 Card is working perfectly with BT4 pre-final... (but I got no antenna output plug...)

Thanks!!!

Joerg

I'm pretty sure the dev's dropped support of this card since BT3.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm pretty sure the dev's dropped support of this card since BT3.
    It's a pity. I buyed this card due to recommendation for its monitor Mode...

Does "support dropped" mean that I got no chance to get this card working?

If so, I'll take another one. Can you suggest a WLAN card, that supports
    a) Monitor mode
    b) injecting
    c) has a external antenna plug
    d) and is availible in specialized trade now?

Thanks a lot! Best Regards,

WLANJogi

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WLANJogi View Post
    Does "support dropped" mean that I got no chance to get this card working? [/code]
    Maybe in bt3, not sure about 4 see also
    HCL:Wireless - Offensive-security.com
    See also
    compatibility_drivers [Aircrack-ng][]=orinoco

If so, I'll take another one. Can you suggest a WLAN card, that supports
    Yes the alfa card can meet your criteria.
    see here
    Alfa 500mW USB Wireless-G Adapter w/ threaded RP-SMA Jack & Antenna AWUS036H
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

It can be made to work, the drivers are on the kismet site. It's not really worth it though. The orinoco card is really really old, and really only good for monitor mode any more. I don't think it supports wpa2, so you couldn't even use it for an every day wifi connection. I know how you feel about it though, I have two or three floating around my junk boxes, even one of the ones without any internal antennas.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

It can be made to work, the drivers are on the kismet site. It's not really worth it though. The orinoco card is really really old, and really only good for monitor mode any more. I don't think it supports wpa2, so you couldn't even use it for an every day wifi connection. I know how you feel about it though, I have two or three floating around my junk boxes, even one of the ones without any internal antennas.
    Thanks to all for your support! I really think that it's not worth. I've already ordered the ALFA 500 mW...

Bye!

Just burned his ISO

I don't think it supports wpa2, so you couldn't even use it for an every day wifi connection.
    I have an Orinoco Gold 8470-WD and it clearly supports WPA and WPA2 with AES and AES-CCMP . . . all current authentication/encryption modes. I've also used it as a "normal" network card on WEP, WPA-TKIP, WPA-AES and WPA2-AES networks . . . no problem.

Tried to compile the Kismet patched drivers for it and ran into all manner of error messages . . . wouldn't compile. That said, I'm a real n00b to Linux, and especially the Ubuntu/Debian "flavor" of Linux. So . . . the inability to compile the Kismet drivers may be something I'm still doing wrong.

Edit:
    Rebuilt the DVD with updates/upgrades including the madwifi-drivers, and dumping the Ath5k drivers using instructions on the offensive-security blog. Had to install BT4 pre-final in a VMWare VM on my desktop machine with Ethernet connection, make the updates/mods and burn a new DVD. The ORiNOCO 8470-WD works perfectly now . . . using it in the laptop as I type this . . . on my WPA2-AES(CCMP) WiFi network at home. Fired up Kismet Server and that worked perfectly. Had to turn of network services and turn them back on again after shutting down Kismet before connecting to my WiFi network. Using an external antenna on the ORiNOCO I found quite a few APs and clients in my neighborhood with Kismet.

John
    John