Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack 4 Network Manager

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack 4 Network Manager

Hello,

I have Backtrack 4.0 Installed and have been able to successfully crack Wep. (Great Tool!!) I think I found a bug though.

when I click knetworkmanager nothing happens. So I go down to the bottom right corner and right click the globe and select edit connections. I then fill in all the required information for my wap and yet It will not connect.

The funny thing is I can capture packets using kismet and airodump-ng with NO problem at all. So i did an ifconfig and all I see is the l0 adapter and nothing else.

I tried to modprobe iwl4965 becouse i have the Intel 4965 NIC but even after modprobing I do an Ifconfig and see only the l0 adapter.

Kismet and Airodump work fine though!!! I actually cracked wep with this very same laptop no problem.

When I do a dmesg I can see the NIC card get recognized and it is assigned IRQ 17

I can now crack WEP but how can I get Backtrack to connect to a WAP?

Note: I was able to successfully connect to the cracked WAP using windows.

Thanks

Just burned his ISO

i believe you have to make sure that firstly the card isnt being used by any other application

then type "networkmanager start" in console

Good friend of the forums

/etc/init.d/networking start
    /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

also, there are a lot of scripts for configuring wpa or wep on this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by lcaseyva View Post
    Hello,
    Did you mean my WPA?
    Auswaertsspiel

Just burned his ISO

got the same problem.
    but starting the networkmanager solved it for me.
    thanks!

Just burned his ISO

me2 thanks but how i can make NetworkManager to load automatic
    i hate to type every time

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lcaseyva View Post
    Hello,

I have Backtrack 4.0 Installed and have been able to successfully crack Wep. (Great Tool!!) I think I found a bug though.

when I click knetworkmanager nothing happens. So I go down to the bottom right corner and right click the globe and select edit connections. I then fill in all the required information for my wap and yet It will not connect.

The funny thing is I can capture packets using kismet and airodump-ng with NO problem at all. So i did an ifconfig and all I see is the l0 adapter and nothing else.

I tried to modprobe iwl4965 becouse i have the Intel 4965 NIC but even after modprobing I do an Ifconfig and see only the l0 adapter.

Kismet and Airodump work fine though!!! I actually cracked wep with this very same laptop no problem.

When I do a dmesg I can see the NIC card get recognized and it is assigned IRQ 17

Note: I was able to successfully connect to the cracked WAP using windows.

Thanks
    I had this problem as well with BT4. Too many errors, so I'm going back to 3 now. WEP's not hard to crack, but WPA is impossible if you don't have the right dictionary or the handshake. Are you trying to crack your neighbor's connection or what?

Quote Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz View Post
    I had this problem as well with BT4. Too many errors, so I'm going back to 3 now. WEP's not hard to crack, but WPA is impossible if you don't have the right dictionary or the handshake. Are you trying to crack your neighbor's connection or what?
    Maybe you should file a bugreport if it has so many of them. It won't improve by itself
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by SkechBoy View Post
    me2 thanks but how i can make NetworkManager to load automatic
    i hate to type every time

No. If you want networking to start at boot use Ubuntu. Backtrack is a pentesting distribution, if you don't know why we don't want networking loaded at boot, maybe this isn't the one you should use.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No. If you want networking to start at boot use Ubuntu. Backtrack is a pentesting distribution, if you don't know why we don't want networking loaded at boot, maybe this isn't the one you should use.
    True indeed
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast