Thread: USB Persistent vs HD Install

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default USB Persistent vs HD Install

Hello. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what the pros and cons would be in using a "USB Persistent" installation vs. a hard drive installation when looking to use BT4 on an SD card in a netbook with a built-in SD card slot.

Thanks in advance!

USB Persistent:
    Mobility, the key can be taken easily in pocket & you can use your favorite OS anywhere..

In case of the netbook, I think it will increase the battery life if you shut your HDD from BIOS
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply. Actually, my question was more comparing the two installation types (USB persistent vs HD) with the destination media being an SD card in either case. I know there are some slight differences (i.e. you get to create your own user in an HD install, etc.)...

Any additional info?

Just burned his ISO

USB persistant installation is live CD installation actually,not a real installation.

Just burned his ISO

I understan. What you're saying about it not being a "real" installation. However, it seems more of a semantics issue as they both act quiye similarly. I'm still trying to find out the pros and cons of one against the other... I mentioned the SD card in a netbook scenario just in case it made a difference...

Are you sure about that? What is "a real installation"?
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

One big advantage I can think of the persistent live install is that you still have other tools available such as forensic mode and the memory test. *Also, it would definitely be portable so you can use it on different machines without any issues (...not sure you could do that with an HD install...). *One minor annoyance of the live install is the prompt to remove the CD upon shutdown. *Is there a way to disable that prompt?

The other doubt I have is whether there is a performance difference between the two types of install...

Thanks!