Thread: What internal netbook wireless card should I buy?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default What internal netbook wireless card should I buy?

Hi guys I just got the Dell mini 10v for my birthday and have it triple booting Windows XP, Ubuntu 9.04, and BT4 Pre-Release. After doing some searching around in the forums I learned that it's internal wireless card can't be put into monitor mode nor can it do packet injections. Now I don't want to buy a USB wireless card instead I want to replace the internal card. Being new to the BT community I need some help in determining what card to buy; I heard the Gigabyte GN-WI06N-RH card was good (www DOT gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Communication/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2608) but it's a tad bit more than I want to pay. Any suggestions? Oh also this netbook came without bluetooth so I was going to buy the bluetooth module and install it in the computer it's theBroadcom BCM92045, do you guys know if this is compatible with BT if not other suggestions? Thanks.

Just burned his ISO

There is a list of compatible wireless adapters here... well I cant post the link so google Backtrack HCL Wireless and the first link will give you a complete list

I personally wouldn't change the internal card, but if you are dead set against usb, go for something in your price range from the list

Just burned his ISO

Yeah I saw that before after searching around in the forums, but it looked like the only one on the list that could do packet injections was the Gigabyte GN-WS50G b/g, I did find it online for $20, but support for n would have been nice. Oh well, I may just go for that one, thanks.

Just burned his ISO

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure all of the ones on the list will support packet injection, as long as you update to the enhanced drivers. I'll do some more checking and let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer537 View Post
    Yeah I saw that before after searching around in the forums, but it looked like the only one on the list that could do packet injections was the Gigabyte GN-WS50G b/g, I did find it online for $20, but support for n would have been nice. Oh well, I may just go for that one, thanks.
    Make sure it will work with your Dell first. They have a funny habit of locking to Broadcum cards.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Ferus26 View Post
    I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure all of the ones on the list will support packet injection, as long as you update to the enhanced drivers. I'll do some more checking and let you know
    Ok, thanks I was just reading the descriptions under each one and that was the only one that I saw that explicitly stated that it supported packet injection, some of the ones on the list said that they didn't but could be placed into monitor mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Make sure it will work with your Dell first. They have a funny habit of locking to Broadcum cards.
    Yeah good point. I really hope not, I'd like to stick a Gigabyte card in there or at least one with an Atheros chipset. I think I'll go ask the guys over at mydellmini forums and see what they know regarding that. I'd hate to buy a card just to find out later that I can't use it.