Thread: Multiple AP's, Multiple WAN, Pentesting party!

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Multiple AP's, Multiple WAN, Pentesting party!

Myself and a few friends are planning on having a lan party at my friend's Dad's house. I've been over there a few times and know for a fact I can access my Mom's WiFim, his mom's WiFi, and our friend Eric's WiFi from the living room (where we will be set up) as well as his dad's WiFi. This led to the idea of load balancing these connections to achieve (possibly) greater bandwidth for the night.
    This idea has evolved over the week and last night we decided it would be a perfect activity for the night to make sure everyone (except his dad's wifi so we'll have internet.) sets up security on their wireless (preferably with a random key that they don't know to keep it sporting) and we work at cracking them and then bonding them at the party, however I would like to be ready to go when I get there.
    I'm taking two laptops and my dual quad-core file/media/game server. I have a bunch of USB wireless cards (4 Linksys WPC11v4), and I believe the internal WiFi card on one of the two notebooks supports injection.
    Any pointers towards guides on either WEP/WPA/WPA2 cracking (I believe we decided to stick to WEP/WPA, but might as well be safe) or help figuring out how hooking all these networks together would work would be greatly appreciated. The winner gets a 24 pack of monster, so maybe I'll share :P

Quite interesting.

Well, how about doing some research on your own?
    There are countless tutorials available for the question at hand. In this forum, on other platforms and there is Google.

We are not here to spoonfeed you, especially not questions being answered already.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

What's this load balancing you're talking about? Why do you need a performance internet connection for a LAN party?

Anyway, if you wanted to utilise multiple internet connections at once, you could do something like:

* Set everyone's home network to a different network address (e.g. yours can be 10.1.1.0/24, your friend's can be 10.2.2.0/24, your other friend's can be 10.3.3.0/24)
    * Get one computer with 4 wireless cards, connect to the four networks, and bridge all four networks. (Alternatively you can use four separate computers and bridge them all with an Ethernet cable). Hook this computer into a switch and connect it to all other computers into the switch also.
    * Then play around with your routing table to decide which connection gets used for what (e.g. you can use one connection for Quake III Arena, one for bittorent, one for Youtube).

Of course though it might be just as handy to get everyone to connect to their own AP, that way everyone has an internet connection to themselves.

As for setting up security... well it's braindead stuff, just:

* Use WPA with a long random password
    * Never keep your password on a computer that has Microsoft products
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Just burned his ISO

"This led to the idea of load balancing these connections to achieve (possibly) greater bandwidth for the night."

Load balancing is for failover purposes, not for increasing bandwidth. What you are looking for is to bond the connections. Since you don't live in Europe, you can't bond over MLPPP. You'll need to use physical hardware to do the bonding.

When in doubt, Google or Bing.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Let's pretend you've got one of your internet connections connected to a Quake III Arena game server.

You've got three more internet connections, and they're sitting there doing nothing.

Next, you make a program that detects a cessation in traffic on the main internet connection, and when that happens you re-route internet traffic to one of the other connections.

The problem here is that the Quake III Arena server will receive packets from a different public IP address and will be like "Hey who the hell are you and what do you want... you've come for my children haven't you?! Get off my lawn or I'm calling the police"

It would be pretty cool though if someone made up a protocol which allows connection shifting like this.

Anyway I'm not even sure what you mean by load balancing in this context so I'm probably talking shite.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    It would be pretty cool though if someone made up a protocol which allows connection shifting like this.
    It's called SCTP, and has been around at least as long as I have had my copy of "UNIX Network Programming - Volume 1 - Third Edition". Probably longer but I haven't looked into it.

I use SCTP to support failover of my database servers because I don't have the hardware to support multiple machines (but do support redundant HDD's and NIC's). Great protocol. Doubtful you could use it in this application though.

On a similar note, I used to get unlimited downloads off one connection and unlimited uploads off the other, so I ran some packet forging from the first to make everything seem to be coming from the second - I got basically unlimited upload/downloads by paying for two relatively cheap internet connections and having a FreeBSD box do some magic routing for me. Again, a curiosity more than anything as it is not useful in this task (mostly because there really is nothing you can do with so little time to prepare).

If I was the OP (and without giving too much away), I'd be pre-computing hashes for the more complex protocols based on known AP-SSID's, and preparing custom scripts for the not-so-secure ones.

I'd probably "cheat" a little and do a drive by to test my equipment first, but I believe in being prepared more than in the spirit of a contest and as such may be breaking the rules somewhat.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.