Thread: Can't change MAC on Realtek RTL8187 in Windows Vista

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't change MAC on Realtek RTL8187 in Windows Vista

Hello everyone.

Does anyone know why can't I spoof my MAC in Windows Vista using SMAC (made by KLC consulting) or TMAC (Technitium)? I have a Realtek RTL8187L USB adapter (no-name, similar to Alfa AWUS036H?). When I try to spoof MAC, SMAC says that it is spoofed, but still reports the original MAC and ipconfig also reports the original MAC.

I also have two other Netgear PCMCIA adapters (WG511U and WG511) and both work fine, no problems changing their MACs.

Also under BT3 macchanger works fine. It is only Windows where I have a problem...

Thanks.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I hear it works properly if you wipe Shitsta off your hard disk and install Linux.

Back when I used Windows XP as my main OS I used to use a thing called "macshift"... I dunno if it works with Vista.

Macshift: Change your MAC address: The definitive free command-line MAC changing utility for Windows XP
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilya_980 View Post
    Hello everyone.

Does anyone know why can't I spoof my MAC in Windows Vista using SMAC (made by KLC consulting) or TMAC (Technitium)? I have a Realtek RTL8187L USB adapter (no-name, similar to Alfa AWUS036H?)
    Did you try the documentation that came with the applications?
    Considering this is not a windows forum or a forum for the other companies you might not find the best help here.
    Technitium MAC Address Changer v5 Release 3 (FREEWARE)

PCWorld Award - SMAC MAC Address Changer for Windows 2000, 2003, XP, VISTA, 2008 looks like they even have translations of their documentation in other languages.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, but unfortunately this does not help.
    I have tried MACshift, it works, but also with only two other adapters, not with Realtek RTL8187L.

I have a feeling (though I don't know for sure), that all 3 programs (SMAC, TMAC and MACshift) do exactly the same thing: they modify the value of NetworkAddress in the Windows Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{my network adapter ID}, but for some reason it does not work in my case.

I think that the problem is in this particular adapter. For some reason, when Windows constructs packets it takes MAC address from a different place. I looked for its MAC address in the registry and there are like 30 different places. Which one to change? All of them??? Can it be the driver written in such a way that Windows always takes hard-coded MAC for this particular adapter?

I also asked on this forum because this community is extremely knowledgeble about this particular adapter, since it is one of the best to use with BT.

So, the question again, has anyone been able to change MAC address of the USB Realtek RTL8187L adapter in Windows, and if yes, how? Has anyone been able to change the MAC address of Alfa AWUS036H in Windows, and if yes, how?

Thanks.

It's not that were so full of ourselves (well at least not now ). It's just that we don't care for Winz. As far as I'm concerned there is only one good reason to keep developing them - so we can hit 'em with the BT sledgehammer 'till the glass on the Winz logo cracks.

It is only Windows where I have a problem...
    Yes ... you know it, I know it, Bill knows it...... but nobody cares.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

I wouldn't be too suprised if Microsoft closed another "fun feature" for fear of people abusing it. They've already gotten rid of raw sockets (you can't open a raw socket in Windoze anymore).
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

One more time because I am nice.
    Changing Your MAC Address In Window XP/Vista, Linux And Mac OS X (Sometimes known as MAC spoofing)
    Not only is there a tutorial on how to do what you want, but a how to on how mac addressing works.
    BTW google = mac address changer vista (xp, nt4.0 sp6, whatever)
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Ok, the issue is nothing BT related. There have been enough people giving you some links. But you'd be better off asking in a windows forum.

-> Closed
    Tiocfaidh ár lá