Thread: Manipulating Windows limitied user access?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Manipulating Windows limitied user access?

I noticed something strange last night and wondered if there's any tool on Backtrack to manipulate this. I have a seperate limited account on my pc for gaming and internet (so not as many virus's or worms get installed, as i'm not running root). I did notice years ago that as you create the account, you could limit access to other users files. But last night when i ran a defrag, from this limited account, it accessed these apparent inaccessible files. Is there a tool that could manipulate this and use the defragger to access the files so that i can gain access? I did do a bit of experimenting with my programs and its only the defragger (Piriform Defraggler) that can do this. Nothing else has permission to access them. Not even my anti virus. I am using Windows 7 build 7600 for those that need to know. Thanks in advance
    Just when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, the roof caves in!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Manipulating Windows limitied user access?

Privilege escalation comes to mind here.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    Privilege escalation comes to mind here.
    I know this but as i said the account was a "limited user" and what if i didn't have the power to change it to administrator privileges. I know there's other ways of getting around this like using ophcrack, gaining the admin password and changing the escalation. But if i didn't want to do that... is there a way to do what i suggested. Using the defraggers ability to access restricted files to my advantage. I did look and the defragger is running as admin which would explain why it has access, but i didn't think it would do it with the limited user account. Sorry that this is a bit off topic as its mainly about windows but i thought that the problem could be exploited in some way. I dont really want someone accessing my private files through a limited account.
    Just when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, the roof caves in!

Quote Originally Posted by chris_heyward View Post
    I noticed something strange last night and wondered if there's any tool on Backtrack to manipulate this. I have a seperate limited account on my pc for gaming and internet (so not as many virus's or worms get installed, as i'm not running root). I did notice years ago that as you create the account, you could limit access to other users files. But last night when i ran a defrag, from this limited account, it accessed these apparent inaccessible files.
    It didn't access the files it simply changed their location on the drive or accessed information about the files which is held within the filesystem.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.