Thread: Loading Kernel and other questions.

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Loading Kernel and other questions.

I am a newbie, and yes, I have browsed google for awhile. None of the tutorials are truly and extremely noob friendly. I burnt the Backtrack 4 pre-final iso to a bootable disk and booted it up. I was brought to grub and tried to boot, tried
    Code:
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdal/
    but it was not found. In BT4, how do a load the kernel. A simple answer or a link to a noob-proof tutorial would be helpful.

Also, I would like to install Backtrack to a linux-based MID, how would I create a bootable SD card?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Just burned his ISO

Shamless self-bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortrin View Post
    Shamless self-bump.
    I'd call it shameless self-infraction.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Are you getting some sort of error when you try and boot Backtrack 4 using the default boot option - Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768) ? Id suggest sticking with the already defined options before creating your own kernel load option.

If you're interested in Grub however, have a look at the Grub menu list in /boot/grub/menu.lst on the iso to get an idea of how the kernel line should look.

As for your mobile device question, did you search the forums? And see this post below? There's no answer to the first post, but if you read it, read between the lines and do a little research you might see the problem with running BackTrack on certain mobile devices.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/bt4...ck-mobile.html
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

I have not made any custom changes to it. I burned it to a disk and booted it. It says I have not loaded the kernel. I am a newbie to any sort of linux, so I don't know how to deal with this. I have burned two DVDs the same way and nothing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortrin View Post
    I have not made any custom changes to it. I burned it to a disk and booted it. It says I have not loaded the kernel. I am a newbie to any sort of linux, so I don't know how to deal with this. I have burned two DVDs the same way and nothing changes.
    I gather you have done some searching based on the fact you were trying to load the kernel via supplying commands to grub. Try searching for the exact error message and adding "casper" or "ubuntu" or "ubuntu live" to your search string. If you dont have any luck with those results post back here with a better description of your problem (include exact error messages!) and what you have tried so far to fix your issue.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.