Thread: /bin/sh: openvas-nvt-sync: command not found

Just burned his ISO

Default /bin/sh: openvas-nvt-sync: command not found

True, the command is not installed when running an install to HD from live CD.
    BT 4 final

/Ice

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: /bin/sh: openvas-nvt-sync: command not found

I will check on this a bit later, but in the meantime did you setup openvas? I also made a couple of guides for this.
    Archangel Amael's BT Tutorials: OpenVAS
    Also if anyone else can confirm this would be great. Since I have not seen/nor had problems with openvas.

theyhadsaid

I had the same issue after upgrading to the latest packages. (apt-get -u upgrade)
    When I reverted to a post-install state in VMware, that sync command was there..
    Another thing to keep in mind is that if you update package lists and then do a full-upgrade then meterpreter scripts will NOT work due to switching to a new mysql version.

Just burned his ISO

Of course i did setup openvas.
    I already used it (BT4) but when one test that i knew openvas earlier detected than I thougt I had not updated it ( I had not in this bundle ( BT4 )).
    Earlier used own compiled slackware platform and it worked but it would be nice too test a bundle as BT4.
    That's why I tried to update BT4 and discovered that it were missing.

No big deal I can compile my own but for the bundle it would be nice to be complete.

/Ice

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Has there been any further news on this openVAS issue ?

When running;
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

I always get some kept back ;
    The following packages have been kept back:
    nmap openvas-client openvas-libraries openvas-menu
    and the same /bin/sh: openvas-nvt-sync: command not found error.

Just run
    Code:
    apt-get install openvas-menu
    and the problem is fixed.

What has happened is that when you did the upgrade, you have managed to get stuck half way between v2.x and v3.x

FULL EXPLANATION FOR THOSE INTERESTED

When the packages were made for v3.x, the plugins package had to be modified to make it compatable with v3.x because as of v3.x they are not supplying an updated set of plugins and because of that they moved 4 files into a different package. This meant that for any install you would have to download ALL of the plugins from scratch via the internet. So to give everyone at least a base ammount of plugins (approx 12,000) without having internet available, I made the v2.x plugins package again just leaving out 4 files from it which are included as part of the openvas-scanner package (one of which happens to be openvas-nvt-sync). By doing this the compatibility of the plugins with v2.x was unfortunately broken, but as anyone updating the plugins package would also be updating to v3.x I didn't think this would be a problem (in hindsight perhaps I should have put in some protection against this, but then 20:20 hindsight is always perfect).

Well that's what happened, why it happened and how to fix it (hope it made some kind of sense).

Sorry for the error, it looks like I may have to go back into the package/s and add some rules to stop this happening again.

So after having updated the openvas-menu as per Balding_Parrot's post ;
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...not-found.html

I have followed following steps ;
    > Made a certificate
    > Added a user
    > Updated with openvas-nvt-sync
    > Loading plugins with start openvas-scanner

When starting the openvas-client and trying to connect to server, it failed when trying to connect to "localhost".

After a checking the openVAS bugtracker site, I found a post on the same thing advising that when changing "localhost"
    to "127.0.0.1" it worked.
    So tried that, and it connected fine.

Did a test scan on my local network and all seemed to work fine as per the usual routine.

Just thought I'd put this info out there to see if anyone else was experiencing same issue or whether I have managed to
    FUBAR something during the installation ?

Thanks for the fix ! worked for me,
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-08-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Hey since this problem may be related I merged this post with the existing thread.

Also Thanks Balding_Parrot for the fix. I did look at the error after updating. Now I know why I didn't see the problem to begin with.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 03-08-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added

Okido !

Just didnt want to possibly hijack a thread with what may have been my issue alone.

Quote Originally Posted by =TAPE= View Post
    So after having updated the openvas-menu as per Balding_Parrot's post ;
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...not-found.html

I have followed following steps ;
    > Made a certificate
    > Added a user
    > Updated with openvas-nvt-sync
    > Loading plugins with start openvas-scanner

When starting the openvas-client and trying to connect to server, it failed when trying to connect to "localhost".

After a checking the openVAS bugtracker site, I found a post on the same thing advising that when changing "localhost"
    to "127.0.0.1" it worked.
    So tried that, and it connected fine.

Did a test scan on my local network and all seemed to work fine as per the usual routine.

Just thought I'd put this info out there to see if anyone else was experiencing same issue or whether I have managed to
    FUBAR something during the installation ?

Thanks for the fix ! worked for me,
    Sorry, but I have had no problem like that at all.
    I really cannot see why changing localhost to 127.0.0.1 would make any difference at all, but if it works for you I'm not going to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    Hey since this problem may be related I merged this post with the existing thread.

Also Thanks Balding_Parrot for the fix. I did look at the error after updating. Now I know why I didn't see the problem to begin with.
    Sorry about that, I thought I had all the avenues for something like that happening covered, but I obviously missed the easiest one for anyone to do wide open. We all make mistakes, I just hope I don't do it too often.

This is one of those weird problems where it would be crazy hard for someone to come in and see what caused the error. It's only because I built the packages and knew what I had removed and changed to make the plugins v3.x compatible that I knew straight away where the problem is.

You're all welcome for the fix, I'm just kicking myself for leaving that possibility uncovered.

I will add extra protection in the next few days. Until then, the best way to update openvas to v3.x is to:
    Code:
    apt-get install openvas-menu
    This way you are certain not to encounter a problem with the upgrade.

Sorry guys