Thread: Network problems

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Network problems

Ok so here's the deal. I have a linksys wireless-b usb adapter (wusb11 2.6) and it seems to not be compatible with linux :/. I tried ifconfig and iwconfig and it does not show up. However, I try my other similar linksys wireless g usb adapter (wusb54Gv2) on my other similar box and it works fine-for a while. On that machine, the adapter shows up on both configs as wlan0 as expected. I run "sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start" and am able to connect to my protected network. However, it eventually disappears after about 5 minutes and there are 0 networks in range. I checked iwconfig again and my device still shows up, yet all the networks magically disappear. I am not a linux guru. Does anyone have any advice?

What does a
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    show youwhen you have your wusb11 2.6 connected?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo79 View Post
    Ok so here's the deal. I have a linksys wireless-b usb adapter (wusb11 2.6) and it seems to not be compatible with linux :/. I tried ifconfig and iwconfig and it does not show up. However, I try my other similar linksys wireless g usb adapter (wusb54Gv2) on my other similar box and it works fine-for a while. On that machine, the adapter shows up on both configs as wlan0 as expected. I run "sudo /etc/init.d/wicd start" and am able to connect to my protected network. However, it eventually disappears after about 5 minutes and there are 0 networks in range. I checked iwconfig again and my device still shows up, yet all the networks magically disappear. I am not a linux guru. Does anyone have any advice?
    I'm using linksys wusb54gv4 and v2, both fine with me.
    Never had any problem.
    May be some one around you sending deauth attack to you.

Quote Originally Posted by KMdave
    show youwhen you have your wusb11 2.6 connected?
    You can try what KMdave said, ifconfig -a.
    it's show all the network adapter.
    After seeing what your device name there, eg. eth0 ath0 and the other, you must
    do up the device. eg. ifconfig ath0 up. after that look at your iwconfig. if it's going alright there must be your device in iwconfig. Maybe you haven't activated the device with ifconfig XXXX up.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give it a shot real quick. And no there is no possibility of someone using a deauth attack against me; I live in a very small city, and I am 99% sure I am the only hacker.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give it a shot real quick. And no there is no possibility of someone using a deauth attack against me; I live in a very small city, and I am 99% sure I am the only hacker.
    Well, you should reconsider calling yourself a hacker, if you have trouble getting your network to work.
    Not meant as an insult but an advice
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Yeah well I can hack on windows... just linux does not get along with me nicely. On a side note, nothing worked. ifconfig wlan0 up did nothing productive. The card is up, yet no networks detected.

Just burned his ISO

Since when do you need linux to hack? It's not the only operating system. Am I not a hacker because I don't know how to configure network connections on every OS? Sorry, that was just an ignorant statement. I am trying to learn another OS and cannot seem to see what the problem on it is, which is why I came to its home forum. If no one knows, that's fine. If it helps, I'm running on a HP pavillion a750y and the other box is a HP pavillion 850y. The ifconfig -a shows that it is up and running, however wicd still reveals no networks. But as I already stated, I am not a linux guru and would just like some advice.

Just burned his ISO

Regardless, can anyone help? ifconfig -a shows that the adapter is up and running, yet no networks are found.

Regardless, can anyone help? ifconfig -a shows that the adapter is up and running, yet no networks are found.
    First, do not post the same question on diferent posting. It's look like you are spaming so your thread could get up on the list.

Second, ifconfig -a show you all the network device.
    It doesn't mean that any device found on ifconfig -a already up. Just see again in your 'ifconfig' without -a. is it there or not ?

Third, Hacker would try to googling how to do a thing about this if that hacker wanna learn, not asking to people. This is basic problem about networking and a lot of sample case out there with some 'pretty' answer.

Regards,
    JoeleZ