Thread: knowledge !!!!!!

Just burned his ISO

Arrow knowledge !!!!!!

guys at the momment i have a few books on which to read and i would like a bit of advice form a few guys to set me in the right path of a new beginning ijn understanding computers and networks and the likes of and i was wonderingif i could have a few votes on which book to start reading first

: Sams teach yourself tcp/ip in 21 days but i guess it will take alittle bit more time than that but never the less pleanty of time in which to do so,

: data communication and information systems

: a+ cert book

: file systems regarding xp

: master networking

the theroy of the network books is that i am going to ccna ccnd ccnp onlline beacuse i want to move to exeter the brother lives thier so he does amnd i would like to generaly be with everyone but i have few months and i would like to start reading a book about something so i can join the disscusions at brum (essex) (exeter) and have a sort of idea what they are taking about in gerneral

Start with the tcp-ip book, it will give provide you with the basis for just about everything else and is invaluable. Honestly i wouldn't even consider doing anything else until you have a firm understanding of how that works.

As for the rest of the books, you might aswell throw that A+ book in the trash unless your planning on getting a job with the geek squad lol
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

As for the rest of the books, you might aswell throw that A+ book in the trash unless your planning on getting a job with the geek squad lol
    Gay+

Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    Gay+

Thats a good one

Yes, A+ is very low level and basically focused on PC hardware. It may be useful if you want a basic PC maintenance job, or want to build your own PC or upgrade components in a PC, but otherwise I don't know if Id bother.

What to read really depends on where your interest lies, and only you can really decide that. Maybe you should read the introduction of each book so you get a grasp of what they are about and then decide from there.

If you want to do the CCNA you will need fairly strong TCP/IP skills, including knowledge about how TCP/IP works in routed and local environments, routing protocols and IP addressing (including the ability to subnet networks within a few seconds). You have to know (and I do mean KNOW) the contents of two rather large texts to be able to pass the exam, and hands on experience with Cisco gear is highly recommended. Its surprisingly difficult for an entry level certification, I did it last year and a number of people in my class failed the exam, and all of them had multiple years experience in the IT industry.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

There is a bookthread in the forum with recommended reads.

Might want to check it out
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

From my experience, the people who are really good at anything to do with computers didn't learn it in a classroom. When I was in college, there was an 18-year-old guy in my class who had been mad about robots since he was a kid. He had 10 years of experience playing around with robot stuff, and you'd be very hard-pushed to find someone as good as him. He was an absolute goldmine of knowledge to have around when we were doing our Embedded Systems projects (i.e. working with microcontroller chips). I was the person in class that had been playing around with programming as a hobby for a few years, and together we made a great team.

In some professions, certain qualifications can be embarrassing. I mean if somebody presented an A+ certificate to me, I'd be like "OK, A+ certificate, that's fantastic, next your gonna give me a certificate that says you'r potty trained".

I'm not an employer at the moment, I dunno if I ever will be, but if I'm ever hiring people to do some sort of computer job, I'll just sit in a room and let them tell me what knowledge they have. It's really easy to spot someone who's an absolute pro, regardless of what qualifications he (or she!) has. And if they come out with something like "Yeah I was bored one day so I made a robot beside my toaster and put a sensor on it to pick up the toast when it popped and place it on a plate" then you know you've hit the jackpot.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".