Thread: Networking problems with BT4 USB

Just burned his ISO

Default Networking problems with BT4 USB

I installed BT 4 Pre on 8GB USB stick following instructions in How-to section (for noobs). I also created a root account and with it tried to connect to internet. However, it wasn't that simple. I followed instructions on a site with an address I obviously cannot post (silly rule, really) and did following ...

(not using "vi" in console as in instructions - but with a text editor (kate or something )

/etc/network/interfaces

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.x.y
    gateway 192.168.x.z
    netmask 255.255.255.192
    network 192.168.x.m
    broadcast 192.168.x.n

and /etc/resolv.conf

domain yourdomain
    search yourdomain
    nameserver x.x.x.x

after that I restarted with /etc/init.d/networking restart

ifconfig shows settings have changed; only netmask didn't change accordingly (it stayed 255.255.255.0 instead of a subnetted .192), others seem OK.

But I still cannot access any websites. Pinging gateway works, so does pinging other computers on a LAN. Network addresses (e.g. google) however, do not get translated, neither can I ping the DNS server (network unreachable). It seems I can't access any network beyond ISR.

Using my primary OS (windows 7) internet works just fine with current Router settings ...

Does anyone have any idea what is the matter?

Just burned his ISO

I have been playing around with settings for 2 days now, without success unfortunately. I can't believe I spent that much time with such basic stuff ...

Connecting to internet in Windows takes less than 30 seconds, with BT it's a nightmare. I hope that not all things in BT are that troublesome.

oh dear
    Quote Originally Posted by sword View Post
    an address I obviously cannot post (silly rule, really) and did following ...
    If it's so important try something like hxxp:// in the link
    (not using "vi" in console as in instructions - but with a text editor (kate or something )
    if you dont like vi try nano
    /etc/network/interfaces

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.x.y
    gateway 192.168.x.z
    netmask 255.255.255.192
    network 192.168.x.m
    broadcast 192.168.x.n

and /etc/resolv.conf

domain yourdomain
    search yourdomain
    nameserver x.x.x.x

after that I restarted with /etc/init.d/networking restart

ifconfig shows settings have changed; only netmask didn't change accordingly (it stayed 255.255.255.0 instead of a subnetted .192), others seem OK.

But I still cannot access any websites. Pinging gateway works, so does pinging other computers on a LAN. Network addresses (e.g. google) however, do not get translated, neither can I ping the DNS server (network unreachable). It seems I can't access any network beyond ISR.

Using my primary OS (windows 7) internet works just fine with current Router settings ...

Does anyone have any idea what is the matter?
    are you sure your nameserver and gateway is correct? Try interfaces.conf without network and broadcast specification.

so you don't reach google over your gateway? tried pinging an ip outside your net? Is the DNS in the same subnet?
    Auswaertsspiel

Just burned his ISO

Did the same thing with nano this time ...

Gateway is set correctly - I can access router settings via browser and also ping it with console. As I can also ping other computers on my network.

On the other hand, I think DNS might be a problem. You said it should be on the same subnet, while I use my ISP's DNS server - which is obviously outside of my network. I also tried setting a static lookup in hosts file but that does not connect me to desired server either.

However, this still does not explain why I can't ping specific IP addresses outside of my network (message "network is unreachable"). Could Backtrack be having problems with subnetted network (I judge this by ifconfig claiming that mask is 255.255.255.0 instead of .192) or are some setting just plain wrong?

My settings are as follow:

IP: 192.168.4.5
    GATEWAY: 192.168.4.62
    MASK: 255.255.255.192
    NETWORK: 192.168.4.0
    BROADCAST: 192.168.4.63

nameserver 84.x.y.z

And I also tried without network and broadcast statements, no change.

Did the same thing with nano this time ...

Gateway is set correctly - I can access router settings via browser and also ping it with console. As I can also ping other computers on my network.

On the other hand, I think DNS might be a problem. You said it should be on the same subnet, while I use my ISP's DNS server - which is obviously outside of my network. I also tried setting a static lookup in hosts file but that does not connect me to desired server either.

However, this still does not explain why I can't ping specific IP addresses outside of my network (message "network is unreachable"). Could Backtrack be having problems with subnetted network (I judge this by ifconfig claiming that mask is 255.255.255.0 instead of .192) or are some setting just plain wrong?

My settings are as follow:

IP: 192.168.4.5
    GATEWAY: 192.168.4.62
    MASK: 255.255.255.192
    NETWORK: 192.168.4.0
    BROADCAST: 192.168.4.63

nameserver 84.x.y.z

And I also tried without network and broadcast statements, no change.
    Try it
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.4.5 netmask 255.255.255.192
    Regards,
    JoeleZ

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, I tried that. Netmask is now displayed correctly with ifconfig and also in graphical Control Module.

However, there is no change in netowowrk operation. What was that detail if DNS is in my subnet?

Thanks, I tried that. Netmask is now displayed correctly with ifconfig and also in graphical Control Module.

However, there is no change in netowowrk operation. What was that detail if DNS is in my subnet?
    maybe you can manually make configuration. Try this one.
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    ifconfig eth0 <your ip> netmask <your netmask>
    route add default gw <your gateway>
    echo nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>/etc/resolv.conf
    replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with your dns ip.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Just burned his ISO

Yesterday I actually did try a few more things and got it to work somehow ... I believe it was the DNS settings - domain, search and nameserver that were causing problems but might be something else as well.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it

Yesterday I actually did try a few more things and got it to work somehow ... I believe it was the DNS settings - domain, search and nameserver that were causing problems but might be something else as well.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I really appreciate it
    it's okay, because from the first bt version, i always manually set the network configuration. Honestly i never use any dhcp or something that help me to configure the network >.< i don't know but for me i think it's more easy just to do it manually.

Regards,
    JoeleZ