Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bt4 usb live persistent booting problems

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default bt4 usb live persistent booting problems

i am having a problem when booting my bt4 prefinal persistent usb. when selecting "start persistent live cd" i begins loading but then brings me to a "initramfs" prompt. what do i do next? i've searched everywhere for an answer but found nothing.

Have you verified the md5sum of the ISO image? Also, which method did you use to create your persistent USB? Please provide some more detailed information - otherwise we won't be able to help you sufficiently.

Just burned his ISO

i verified my md5sum and that was good. i am able to boot using the other selections during the start up its just during the live persistent mode that i am having the problem with. i used the tutorial video from the offesive security blog. i guess i'll try wiping out my usb and install everything again unless someone has anything else to add.

Just burned his ISO

well i reinstalled everything and im still have the same problem with my persistant live cd boot. it keeps coming to a "initramfs" prompt. again i am still able to boot it through the usb using the other selections during the boot menu. i used the tutorial from the offensive security website. any help?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by asdf123 View Post
    well i reinstalled everything and im still have the same problem with my persistant live cd boot. it keeps coming to a "initramfs" prompt. again i am still able to boot it through the usb using the other selections during the boot menu. i used the tutorial from the offensive security website. any help?
    Exactly the same problem here. I also tried to make "persistent" text mode with the very same problem. When using "non persistent" mode, it works like a charm.

My usb device is assigned as /dev/sdc

Thanks in advance

Just burned his ISO

I was able to solve my problem with a bigger USB stick and setting same size on /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2

Regards

Just burned his ISO

i'm have the same problem

when selecting Persistent Live CD, i get a initramfs prompt. nonpersistent selections work just fine

has any found a fix for this?

prowl3r

Possibly you guys made a mistake while following the procedure or it just needs to be adapted for your particular hardware. The tutorial is correct.

I installed a persistent BT4 in a 4 gig pendrive just a couple of days ago and it works just fine.

As an alternative method, I would suggest you to:

1.- download and verify the ISO

2.- partition your thumb drive using gparted: fat32, boot flag, name BT4 (for the install) / ext3, name casper-rw (for your persistent changes)

3.- use UNetbootin to install your ISO in your usb BT4 partition

4- enjoy

Just burned his ISO

I SOLVED IT!!!

when creating the partitions, partition 1 and partition2, the vfat boot partition and the ext3 partition, MUST be the SAME size!

and persistence works!!!

no stupid freakin initramfs prompt!

yes! finally! VICTORY IS MINE!!!

(what i was doing before was making my ext3 partition larger then the boot partition)

Quote Originally Posted by abrupTHavoK View Post
    when creating the partitions, partition 1 and partition2, the vfat boot partition and the ext3 partition, MUST be the SAME size!
    Sorry to burst your bubble but this is not true in any way at all.

When I was working on this method for the video tutorial, almost all of my tests were done on a 16GB USB stick with a 1.5GB fat32 partition and a ~14.5GB ext3 casper-rw partition.

Even the video of this method shows a 1.5GB fat32 partition and a 6.5GB casper-rw partition.

The stick I am using right now has a 22GB fat32 partition and a 10GB casper-rw partition.

The problem that people most commonly have is not labelling the second partition correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast