Thread: BT4 liveUSB on a Macbook Pro 3, 1

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 liveUSB on a Macbook Pro 3, 1

Having read mixed reports as to whether it could be done or not i decided to see if i could find a way to boot Backtrack from a USB stick on my macbook pro. I havnt been able to find any other reports from anyone who has been successfully able to do this (Macbooks are notoriously reluctant to boot anything other than OS X from USB). It has however, been done with a few different versions of linux, Ubuntu being one of them.

Having played around with a few different setups for a while, this is what has (almost) worked for me.

Firstly I installed rEFIt, to give me a little more control over my boot options. Having played around with a few different setups using rEFIt to boot, i gave up. But then i came across this -

hxxps://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/202039

Which gave me some hope. I used the fat binary there and dropped it into ~/EFI/BOOT/BOOTIA32.EFI and ~/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

When restarting and holding alt, my mac see's the usb stick and gives me the option for either booting rEFIt or an EFI boot. When choosing EFI boot i can successfully boot from the usb stick into GRUB2. Which gave me a little more hope.

Now ive tried a few things from here, I was unsuccessful when using an unpacked BT4PF iso on the usb stick with the following in my grub.cfg:

Code:
    # Timeout for menu
    set timeout=0

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
    set default=0

menuentry "BackTrack 4" {
     linux /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317 --
     initrd /boot/initrd.gz
    }
    This *should* have done the job, but alas it doesnt. Im not sure why, so i tried the different approach of booting directly from the iso. The following is my modified grub.cfg:

Code:
    # Timeout for menu
    set timeout=0

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
    set default=0

menuentry "BackTrack 4" {
    fakebios 
    loopback loop /boot/iso/bt4-pre-final.iso
    linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz find_iso/filename=/boot/iso/bt4-pre-final.iso BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317--
    initrd (loop)/boot/initrd.gz
    }
    I tried first without the call to fakebios, but this seemed to make my system hang when inserting certain modules (as i found documented here hxxp://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-05/msg00161.html]grub2 and fat efi files on latest Apples)

When I use this setup as is however, Backtrack boots! Only however, to a root@bt# command prompt.

When using startx i get something along the lines of:

Starting.....

No displays found.....

Then aborting. ls reveals only one file named install.sh.

Im a little stuck here.

Anyone shed any light on this? Ive pretty much exhausted my knowledge at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Use vmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Use vmware.
    After a bit of hammering I also gave up on my MacBookPro5,2 and just use VMware, I can't think of any reason why booting directly would have been any better (speed, RAM and hard drive are not issues).

Just burned his ISO

I do usually use vmware. But, I wanted to use cuda drivers with the nvidia 8600 it has on board. This is impossible to do using vmware since graphics hardware cant be shared like that. So i have to boot natively. And since my 'trusty' superdrive has decided it wont talk to DVD's anymore (apple firmware update killed it.) i cant boot from the liveCD either.

Ive gotten it this far, why shouldnt a full boot into xwindow system be possible?

Im just missing something, and i dont know what it is. was hoping someone else might.