Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [BT4beta] Acer Aspire One (Bugs)

Thumbs up [BT4beta] Acer Aspire One D150 (Bugs)

Hello REF. BT4beta runs perfectly smooth on an Acer Aspire One. The install was fairly fast... Much faster than installing Windows. Everything basically works without installing any additional drivers.

There is a small bug on the sound though. The netbook speakers don't work, but the headset jack works. It's quite a common problem from what google says. I tried giving the alsa some options such as the ones all over google with no success.

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel ...
    My device is ALC272 which seems to be undocumented in the manuals. Can anyone advise?

There also seems to be a bug with airmon-ng when rebooting... Here is the scenario...

Code:
    airmon-ng stop ath0
    airmon-ng start wifi0
    reboot
    This will make LILO hang after outputting the L.

Code:
    airmon-ng stop ath0
    This needs to be used before rebooting or else you'll crash.

EDIT:
    I started to play with Kismet a little. I had some trouble getting it to run, but I finally figured it out. I read a few threads about editing the "source=" in /etc/kismet/kismet.conf and my system runs Kismet using the following...

Code:
    source=madwifi_g,wifi0,madwifi
    My system didn't seem to like the ath5k driver, and Kismet wouldn't run with the following...

Code:
    source=ath5k,wifi0,ath5k
    The error I got was...

Code:
    FATAL: mode get ioctl failed 95:Operation not supported
    EDIT:
    ZeroWine isn't working. I probably didn't set it up correctly. I'll look into this.

Code:
    root@Intelligence:/pentest/re/zerowine/zerowine# ./pycgiserver.py
    serving at port 8000
    localhost.localdomain - - [10/May/2009 01:58:14] code 404, message File not found
    localhost.localdomain - - [10/May/2009 01:58:14] "GET /left.gif HTTP/1.1" 404 -
    localhost.localdomain - - [10/May/2009 01:59:10] "POST /cgi-bin/upload.py HTTP/1.1" 200 -
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/CGIHTTPServer.py", line 251, in run_cgi
        os.execve(scriptfile, args, os.environ)
    OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
    EDIT:
    I figured out how to wake up ath0 when kismet doesn't fully restore the wireless while exiting.
    Code:
    wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
    ifconfig ath0 up

Good friend of the forums

* I dont have issues with sound patch the bios
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...ghlight=aspire

* I dont use the onboard aircard for inject but try updating aircrack using fast-track.py -i

* also rebuild the with USB/Changes http://delicious.com/operat0r/backtrack

Hello operat0r,

Thanks for your reply, but I do not fully understand what you mean. When you say "sound patch the bios", does that mean flashing the bios to the newest version will fix the sound problem I'm having?

I read your thread, "Acer netbook aspire one install guide aoa150-1570", and found what I needed to flash the bios, but I also saw that "It's only meant for emergencies and may void your warranty, so use at your own risk." Will flashing my bios really void my warranty? If so, is there another way to get my speakers working with BT4beta?

I will try updating aircrack via "fast-track.py -i" when I get a chance and see if my reboot issue is resolved. Before I bother updating, is there a way to modify the reboot script to include "airmon-ng stop ath0"? That should definitely fix my reboot issue.

I'm not sure why I would need to rebuild USB/Changes when I'm dual-booting WinXP and BT4beta. Please advise.

Just burned his ISO

hi. i have an Acer Aspire 5335 with the same wireless card but each time i boot up Backtrack v3 it says it doesnt detect it...is there a driver i can download for my laptop so that i can use Backtrack v3 ? or does Backtrack v4 have that issue fixed and therefore i should download and burn backtrack 4? thank you for your time and patience with us noobs

Quote Originally Posted by art789 View Post
    hi. i have an Acer Aspire 5335 with the same wireless card but each time i boot up Backtrack v3 it says it doesnt detect it...is there a driver i can download for my laptop so that i can use Backtrack v3 ? or does Backtrack v4 have that issue fixed and therefore i should download and burn backtrack 4? thank you for your time and patience with us noobs
    Like I said in the first post of this thread, BackTrack 4 beta works flawlessly for my Acer Aspire One. This thread is for reporting bugs and fixes with BT4beta for the Acer Aspire One. Please don't post here unless you have found a bug or fix.

Had the sound issue with my aao but didn't want to tamper with the bios......
    And then my aao bricked out (as for tons of other people) so didn't have any choice but to flash it. Worked out excellent (the sound works).

Link
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    Had the sound issue with my aao but didn't want to tamper with the bios......
    And then my aao bricked out (as for tons of other people) so didn't have any choice but to flash it. Worked out excellent (the sound works).

Link
    I have taken a look at this possible fix, but I don't want to void my warranty.

As far as voiding your warranty is concerned, this is my argument:

Acer is the one to release the new bios version. If the one that was originally on your aa1 was not good enough, then they would not have released the new one. Apparently, there were bug fixes and updates to the bios in the new version. By updating the bios, you are essentially performing routine mantenance on your aa1, and in doing so, you are doing your part to keep your machine as trouble free as possible and actually HELPING Acer avoid having machines unneccesarily sent back to be repaired/replaced under warranty, thereby saving them time, money and resources.

I say reflash the bios, and if they give you greif, present the argument above.

Quote Originally Posted by m1st3rg0n3 View Post
    As far as voiding your warranty is concerned, this is my argument:

Acer is the one to release the new bios version. If the one that was originally on your aa1 was not good enough, then they would not have released the new one. Apparently, there were bug fixes and updates to the bios in the new version. By updating the bios, you are essentially performing routine mantenance on your aa1, and in doing so, you are doing your part to keep your machine as trouble free as possible and actually HELPING Acer avoid having machines unneccesarily sent back to be repaired/replaced under warranty, thereby saving them time, money and resources.

I say reflash the bios, and if they give you greif, present the argument above.
    Good argument, but arguing doesn't change the fact that upgrading the BIOS will void the warranty.

If Acer is the one to release the updated BIOS, and they clearly state that upgrading the BIOS will void your warranty, then the idea behind this is how Acer wants me to send the machine back to them so they can flash the BIOS.

If I was to flash the BIOS myself, I'd be smart enough to wait until my warranty is expired instead of throwing my warranty away.

While you have a point, I actually just found out from my mother-in-law that it does not void the warranty. She had this same issue on her AA1, and called Acer to find out what she needed to do. They told her that she would need to send the machine to them so it could be repaired. She called me later that night, and I walked her through the process of reflashing the bios (see my post here: hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=16435) and now everyhting is working perfectly. The next day, Acer did a follow up call, and when she told them what I had done, the rep said that Acer would have done the exact same thing. She asked if it voided the warranty, and he told her no, it wouldn't because they would have done the same thing.

Maybe I need to apply for a job with Acer.... better than Lowe's... <starts plotting and planning>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast