Thread: BEWARE of the Edimax EW-7318USg

Default BEWARE of the Edimax EW-7318USg

I got the Edimax EW-7318USg from newegg, and none of the downloadable drivers worked (after modprobe, no rausb0 showed up)

However I found the sourcecode that was included in the Linux directory of the included driver CD and that worked.

But I'm getting error messages when executing commands that are documented in the wireless howto's, so I don't know if this card can be used for wep cracking.

Is there a way to get this to work?

Code:
    bt ~ # iwconfig rausb0 mode monitor
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
        SET failed on device rausb0 ; Invalid argument.

bt ~ # iwpriv rausb0 forceprism 1
    Invalid command : forceprism

bt ~ # iwpriv rausb0 rfmontx 1
    Invalid command : rfmontx

Edimax 7318 USg works just fine!

Well maybe you have a different version than what I have? Did you compile & install the driver from the included CD, or from homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_larbig/wlan/rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3.tar.bz2 ?

I noticed that the driver sourcecode on the included CD says "Ralink Tech Inc." at the top of each file , whereas the sourcecode that I downloaded says "RT2x00 SourceForge Project - h t t p // rt2x00.serialmonkey.com"

However, there is a lot of stuff missing from the CD sourcecode. For example, since my driver said "Invalid argument" when I attempted "iwconfig rausb0 mode monitor", I did a search of the word monitor in the CD source, which it didn't find, however the RT2x00 SourceForge source had MONITOR throughout it.

So it looks like the only driver that worked for me was an older driver that lacks the newer features of the sourceforge driver? How am I supposed to use this to crack WEP?

Forget the CD driver, card work in BackTrack 3, and 4 out of the box. Seriallmonkey driver is a little bit old, its recommended for rt73 chips use rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3.tar.bz2, which is included in BackTrack. Card should be registered without blacklisting and rmmod some modules what driver no not use as wlan0, after blacklisting its always rausb0. (in my case) For monitor mode use airmon-ng. It is fine wireless card for the fair price.

The card didn't work out of the box in my case -

I tried the precompiled rt73.ko driver included in backtrack 3 - did not work

I tried bt4 beta, couldn't find a precompiled driver (where is it?)

I tried compiling rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3.tar.bz2 that I got from homepages.tu-darmstadt.de - didn't work

Each time, iwconfig couldn't locate any wireless extensions (no rausb0). Not until compiling the CD driver source.

Where else can I download the latest driver source? Because I couldn't find the source on the Backtrack CD unless I didn't look in the right place.

Oh and after all this, I saw that the card DID work in windows, but I exchanged it as defective back to newegg, so this is the 2nd one, so it's not defective.

BTW, is there any requirement for it to be plugged into a usb2.0 port? I tested on both, but right now it's in a usb1.1 port.

Man i am not sure whats wrong, everybody i know (cca 12 people) including myself had absolutely no problem with Edimax 7318 USg, revision V1.0A - you can find that number on another side of box. I can see 2 possible reasons why yours not working fine: 1. you do not know what you are doing - fallow aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=rt73
    2. manufacturer changed something or card is broken.

I couldn't find anything resembling a version number on any side of the box even though the barcode sticker is still there.

However, on the included paper insert ("quick installation guide") which documents windows installation, it says "Version 1.1/December 2008"

I assume that is in reference to the hardware, not the manual, so I think this should be a warning to anybody expecting to buy a new 7318USg off the shelf for use with the airmon-ng suite.

I'm inclined to return this card and look for other hardware, unless there will be a driver update made available soon (if that happens, how can I find out the soonest?)

Just burned his ISO

Default Add the new USB device ID

redss, I was having the same issues you are having. See this page (add the http and www):

electricshaman.com/2009/07/17/edimax-ew-7318usg/

Let me know if that works for you. I suspect the drivers on the CD have the new device ID since they came from the manufacturer.

Talking

That worked!!!

So recent EW-7318USg owners, take note!

Thanks for the tip!

Just burned his ISO

Glad I could help.