Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: user folders

Default user folders

I've noticed that in bt4-preF the user dir is the equivalent of ~/Desktop. is there any way to reconfigure the kde3 (or kde3.oddly_worked_to_fit_the_distro) interface to have a separate desktop folder for things that end up visible on the users workspace?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post
    I've noticed that in bt4-preF the user dir is the equivalent of ~/Desktop. is there any way to reconfigure the kde3 (or kde3.oddly_worked_to_fit_the_distro) interface to have a separate desktop folder for things that end up visible on the users workspace?
    Just create a folder( for example 'Desktop') in your home directory and then just edit path in file /home/[name]/.config/user-dirs.dirs from XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME" to XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop" and restart KDE.

Code:
    mkdir Desktop
    nano /home/shadow/.config/user-dirs.dirs

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Em... not sure what you mean.

The current user's home folder is surely "~/", no? I'd be quite perturbed if it wasn't

Open up a terminal, type "cd" and hit Return. This should bring you to "~/". If it brings you to "~/Desktop" then something's a little odd...
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

my appologies, let me clarify - the KDE desktop is mapped to ~ instead of ~/Desktop. how does one change this?

I've only got BT4beta so I don't know how the Pre-Final is set up, but the solution might be found here:

Code:
    kate ~/.config/users-dirs.dirs
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

nice fix, i will bookmark this.

EDIT: The only problem i seem to have with this, is when i reboot $HOME/Desktop turns back to $HOME

Just burned his ISO

Hi fossilk1,
    Do you have Hdd installation of BT4 or you using USB/FLASH/LIVEDVD version?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_x51 View Post
    Hi fossilk1,
    Do you have Hdd installation of BT4 or you using USB/FLASH/LIVEDVD version?
    I have the Live verison install to the hdd.

anyone?? I know this is not a backtrack related topic.

Are you saying that your "users-dirs.dirs" file is getting changed every time your reboot?!

Either do a proper install of Backtrack to your harddisk, or turn on persistent changes.

I have a harddisk installation of BT4-PreF and I edited "users-dirs.dirs" in order to change the desktop path. It worked perfectly, and it still works perfectly after I reboot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast