Thread: Wireless help needed

Default Wireless help needed

I used the following guide to try to get my wireless working:

I edited the wireless interface to fit what mne is:

Code:
    So you have Backtrack running installed on a HDD, you can now configure your cards to use the network. You can also do this exactly the same if you are running the distro from the CD, but your settings will not be saved as the CD is a read only medium. There are plenty of different ways to configure these wired cards and plenty of tools to do it. What I am showing here is the generic Linux commands which should be the same for other distro's.

To turn on your ethernet network card (LAN):

ifconfig lo up

The eth0 is the name of the card, this could change depending on what hardware you have installed. To get a list of all adapters:

ifconfig -a

This will list all (-a) interfaces.

To get DHCP to assign a network address automatically from the DHCP server:

dhcpcd lo

This will run it only on eth0, if you omitted the interface you would run the DHCP discovery process on all compatible cards.

NOTE: Auditor has a script called 'pump' which will do the same process.

Then check if you have an address:

ifconfig lo

You should see an IP address in there somewhere.

If you want a static IP address instead of a dynamic one:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2

Or whatever IP you want! If you want a variable subnet mask (beyond the scope of this thread!):

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 subnetmask 255.255.255.0

To manually add a default gateway:

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 lo

Of course you would replace the IP address with your default gateways, also the eth0 interface is not always needed!

To manually assign your DNS servers:

echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
    echo nameserver 212.135.1.36 >> /etc/resolv.conf

Note that the first line will OVERWRITE (>) the resolv.conf file, the second command will APPEND (>>) 'nameserver 212.135.1.36' onto the end of it!

All of this may have been done for you automatically with DHCP anyway, so to check:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

This will display to you the contents of the /etc/resolv.conf file.

To change your DHCP address if it has already been assigned you need to delete the DHCP file assigned to the card:

rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-lo.pid

Although that may change based on the interfaces you have!

Then run the dhcpcd command again.
    When I went to Wireless Assistant, it made a noise like glass breaking and popped up with a message saying "No Wireless Interfaces" that was after I entered the commands in the code above.

Then I went to KLan and tried to scan for my network to connect to the internet, no of the buttons worked I hit them and nothing became of it...

what am I doing wrong?

Thank You for reading
    RIP SHIRLEY 10/11/2008

did you try
    Code:
    iwconfig
    The things you are describing above are for wired interfaces, it's a little different when it comes to wireless.

If you don't see any wireless interfaces with iwconfig then you might have a hardware-switch on your laptop to switch wireless on and off. Make sure this is on.

Default Wireless help needed reply

ill keep you posted...so basicly replace
    Code:
    ifconfig
    with
    Code:
    iwconfig
    ???

again thanks for the help...im glad to see my issue was that simple...coming from a windows box, well linux is intimidating
    RIP SHIRLEY 10/11/2008

Quote Originally Posted by Nyk0n View Post
    what am I doing wrong?
    Well first off it seems you're trying to learn Linux using a distro that is not intended for beginners.

Second lo=loopback which is a logical interface and never going to help you with connectivity outside of the localhost.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.