Thread: Two questions (re: ath5k and lzm modules)

Default Two questions (re: ath5k and lzm modules)

Hi all,

I've been using BT since it's first release and seen it get steadily better and better with each release.
    So first of all, thanks to the developers and the community for making this what it is today.

Secondly, please pay no mind to my post count, i am one of those people who likes to find solutions by myself where i can (i am not part of the influx of noob horde we've been seeing over tha past few months i'm a regular)

So to the queries...

[Question1]

What has happened to madwifi, it was default in BT4 beta but now it's going toward ath5k?
    I know i can blacklist ath5k and install madwifi (with digininja patches ofcourse)... Will we be seeing a return of madwifi or is it unlikely?

[Question2] perhaps the one which will bug me most...

In BT3 and also BT4beta it was great being able to run off of a 2gig SD card and committing any changes i wanted to keep to an lzm.
    Is there an alternative way to keep this functionality without going the full install route?

Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks for reading.

Aliosity

Just burned his ISO

(hey noob )
    www .offensive-security.com/blog/backtrack/keeping-backtrack-up-to-date
    apt-get upgrade && apt-get install madwifi-drivers r8187-drivers
    echo blacklist ath5k >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist # In case you want to use madwifi-ng as default
    echo blacklist rtl8187 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist # In case you want to use legacy r8187 as default
    As for the dir2lzm functionality... I don't know. Im still downloading the Pre Final release U_U.
    Will test it later(and if doesn't work I'll miss it...)

Just burned his ISO

Default Madwifi not detected after apt-get install

Hi, I don`t know if this a right place to post.

I just installed backtrack 4 pre final in my hardrive. I just want to make sure my madwifi driver is working properly in my customized bt4 pre final iso. I did:

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade && apt-get install madwifi-drivers r8187-drivers
    echo blacklist ath5k >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo blacklist rtl8187 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

but after the next reboot, the interface wifi0 doesnt show up:

root@home:~# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

And, after doing "modprobe":

root@home:~# modprobe ath_pci
    root@home:~# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

root@home:~# dmesg | grep hal
    Marking TSC unstable due to TSC halts in idle
    ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
    root@home:~# dmesg | grep MAC
    ath_pci: HAL doesn't support MAC revision 0xe2
    root@home:~# lsmod | grep ath
    ath_pci 239268 0
    wlan 218352 1 ath_pci
    ath_hal 248128 1 ath_pci
    root@home:~#

Any ideas??
    My chipset is atheros ar5007eg

root@home:~# lspci | grep 802
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
    root@home:~#

Ps: Yeah I know there is a tutorial on installing madwifi driver, I `ll install it in bt4b-prefinal live DVD to test the madwifi driver.
    "If it doesn't sleep, doesn't eat, doesn't take **** breaks and plays poker 24 hours a day - it's a bot!"

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

@ Snakerdlk:
    Thanks for the link, i've looked over it many times but it didn't suit my needs to install it to an SD, (mostly because i don't have an SD reader om my main PC) so i opted to buy an 8Gig pendrive instead. WORKS A CHARM!

As for my LZM question it was answered on the offsec blog here
    Offensive Security – Information Security Blog » Customising the BackTrack 4 PreFinal ISO

The only remaining query i have is about the madwifi over Ath5k. Does anyone know whether the trend is going toward Ath5k and madwifi getting phased out?

@ 3z___
    Thanks for posting, i don't mind it being posted here, if we work together to get madwifi working we could post a tutorial in the relavant section.

I've followed the same instructions in the past but seems i got better results.
    Try doing the same again except without the second blacklist, this way i got wifi0...
    But wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wouldn't create the interface for some reason.

I'll have another crack at it tonight and post results, steps and error messages.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by aliosity View Post
    @ 3z___
    Thanks for posting, i don't mind it being posted here, if we work together to get madwifi working we could post a tutorial in the relavant section.
    Thanks, we love learning and knowledge man!

I've followed the same instructions in the past but seems i got better results.
    Try doing the same again except without the second blacklist, this way i got wifi0...
    But wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wouldn't create the interface for some reason.
    What commands did u try?
    Also take a look at "man wlanconfig".. There is alot of info there..

I'll have another crack at it tonight and post results, steps and error messages.
    With permission ofcourse.

The only remaining query i have is about the madwifi over Ath5k. Does anyone know whether the trend is going toward Ath5k and madwifi getting phased out?
    I`am not sure.
    "If it doesn't sleep, doesn't eat, doesn't take **** breaks and plays poker 24 hours a day - it's a bot!"

From what I've read that's what is happening.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    From what I've read that's what is happening.
    Yeah thanks for pointing that out.. Iam still new at this..
    Yeah I read that too..It seems that mac80211 is starting to replace ieee80211... but still give a vote to ieee80211 drivers.

Just burned his ISO

Default maybe better off blacklisted

first post, yay!

it would be better if we had that madwifi package installed already but blacklisted, so it would be an option to just comment it out and put the ath5k there instead.

i also have ar5007eg and now with the wlan0 i can't inject, but with ath_pci in the beta i can out of the box. and say i'm out somewhere doing a pen test with the live cd, i have to find an open wireless to download the package everytime, unless if i have backtrack installed on the hdd