Thread: BT4 Pre Final to Live USB Help

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default BT4 Pre Final to Live USB Help

I knew how to make BT 3 and 4 Beta a live USB but with the change to a ubuntu system how can i make BT4 Pre Final a live USB??

-Thanks

There's even a video available over at Offensive Security Backtrack 4 USB Install - Offensive Security

without having to open another thread,

is it possible to install BT4 pre onto USB without changes

I managed to install bt3 straight onto usb a while ago was pretty easy, was simply copying both folders to usb then running the little app in the boot folder but could i do the same with bt4 pre, i noticed the iso is only 1.4gb so even with a 2gb should it work??

Cheers

Without or with changes lol? if its without just decompress the iso and copy to usb :P
    :cool:
    Alienware M17x - Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9300
    Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    Dual 500GB

Just burned his ISO

What i mean is to have a live USB boot up instead of the DVD, i dont want to install it onto the USB as an operating system (if i did i would just add it to my HDD as another operating system). I just want it to run live like how BT3 could do just by placing the files onto the root directory.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntparty View Post
    What i mean is to have a live USB boot up instead of the DVD, i dont want to install it onto the USB as an operating system (if i did i would just add it to my HDD as another operating system). I just want it to run live like how BT3 could do just by placing the files onto the root directory.
    The link I posted above covers a LiveUSB install. It's the same as with BT3 - the major difference is that BT4 utilizes casper instead of linux-live-scripts and grub is used as a bootloader instead of syslinux. No difference from a user perspective though.
    is it possible to install BT4 pre onto USB without changes

I managed to install bt3 straight onto usb a while ago was pretty easy, was simply copying both folders to usb then running the little app in the boot folder but could i do the same with bt4 pre, i noticed the iso is only 1.4gb so even with a 2gb should it work??
    It's certainly possible. Just follow the video I posted above. You setup casper-rw for persistent storage but you don't need to use it actually. Persistent mode is just a boot option in Grub besides several non-persistent modes. A 2GB stick is perfectly fine. I myself format the whole stick as fat32, then rsync the iso, then resize the fat32 to the minimal possible size, then format the rest as ext3.