Thread: Installation Deadend

Just burned his ISO

Default Installation Deadend

I'm pretty new to Linux, i'd like to install backtrack4 onto hard drive. I ran out of disks and the ones i used only store 700mb which is a bit of a problem. So i started searching for other methods, but i couldn't find one that worked for me. So i ended up coming here to see if i could get some help. Note:

The drive im putting backtrack on is empty, but its a slave to a windows vista
    I do have a second laptop (i don't know much about pxe, but if it works...)
    I also have a USB hard drive and a copy of backtrack3 on a working disc

I have already tried a couple of things, like unetbootin, which just won't boot correctly and the guide at "h**p://***.offensive-security.com/documentation/bt4install.pdf", i booted from bt3 and went through most of the guide hoping i could install it by having the bt4 files on my usb hard drive. However when i got to the "cp --preserve -R..." part i couldn't figure how to make it copy from the files in the iso.

Maybe you can do it that way maybe not, if anyone has any ideas or links to guides it would be really helpful to a new user.

Exactly what do you mean by the fact that it doesn't boot correctly when you used unetbootin?

Also with the second laptop, why must you use PXE? aren't there other ways of installing bt4? i.e. maybe swapping the internal hard disks out (if they have identical connectors) or use something like PLoP boot manager.

Just burned his ISO

I don't have to use pxe, just noting it as an option, and as for unetbootin, when it loaded it just had a blinking curser at the top. Although i did have to force it to use a drive since my usb hard drive wasn't coming up by itself, which im assuming caused the problem.