Thread: networks that dont exist

Just burned his ISO

Default networks that dont exist

i just got given a sony vaio vgn-ns110e laptop (free with telus internet) i tryed backtrack 3 and 4 beta and thay worked but didnt work right a way with the wifi adaptor.. so i downloaded and ran backtrack 4 pre final as a live cd .. it was able to find the wifi adaptor but for some reason evry time that i load any program that moniters for networks (kismet or airdump)

-about 1/3 of the networks are ones with bad names .. like there will be a network called "Home" and it will find that one but it will also find ones like "Hoje" and "fome" all with one letter changed

- about 1/2 the networks are ones that say hidden ssid or length=0 or bad ssid all that dont exist

is there n e way to fix this its starting to get anoying

How do you know that the network names are all incorrect ?. Why are you concerned with scanning for networks. I assume your network shows up fine and you can connect to it successfully ?

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

as above, are you verifying that the bssids are in fact different ?

If the bssids are identical, then would sound rather strange..

Quote Originally Posted by KingNeo View Post
    i just got given a sony vaio vgn-ns110e laptop (free with telus internet) i tryed backtrack 3 and 4 beta and thay worked but didnt work right a way with the wifi adaptor.. so i downloaded and ran backtrack 4 pre final as a live cd .. it was able to find the wifi adaptor but for some reason evry time that i load any program that moniters for networks (kismet or airdump)

-about 1/3 of the networks are ones with bad names .. like there will be a network called "Home" and it will find that one but it will also find ones like "Hoje" and "fome" all with one letter changed

- about 1/2 the networks are ones that say hidden ssid or length=0 or bad ssid all that dont exist

is there n e way to fix this its starting to get anoying

Get yourself some new drivers and test, dont use other network monitors, use wicd, on the problem with bt3/4 use ndiswrapper (tutorials can be found anywere on google) and port your drievrs from windows.

Quote Originally Posted by athacks View Post
    Get yourself some new drivers and test, dont use other network monitors, use wicd, on the problem with bt3/4 use ndiswrapper (tutorials can be found anywere on google) and port your drievrs from windows.
    Well using BackTrack is kinda pointless then, isn't it? Maybe he's actually trying to use kismet, or airodump, and not trying to connect to the internet. By the way, wicd is a piece of shit.

@KingNeo, the wifi adapter is atheros based, so either the athk9k, or madwifi-ng drivers should work with it. I've not had the best of luck with the athk9k drivers and usually just install the madwifi drivers.

Just burned his ISO

Haven't had a problem with wicd, of corurse I haven't changed hardware. It has been reliable in reporting local nets.

Wicd has been more solid than any previous network managers, and that is saying alot.

conflickR