Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask, No Password after Boot ? How to make one ?

Default Ask, No Password after Boot ? How to make one ?

I've already install bt4 preFinal using step by step video on offensive security. rsync then grub-install blabla la bla. I'm already get this BT4 pre Final work nicely without any error yet.

But the Question is, There is no password after boot. How to make one so that no one can use my usb Pendrive to run the bt4 ?

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Just burned his ISO

login as normal user

Code:
    sudo -i

sudo passwd $USERNAME$
    enter password twice

$USERNAME$ can be a regular user you created or root.

As you've probably heard, don't use root when sudo will suffice.

Learn to read, the HOWTO section is not for asking how to do stuff.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Sorry Mod, my mistake. >.<
    really sorry, i take this as warning >.< sorry. i've read it but i'm blinded by something maybe >.<
    really sorry.

login as normal user

Code:
    sudo -i

sudo passwd $USERNAME$
    enter password twice

$USERNAME$ can be a regular user you created or root.

As you've probably heard, don't use root when sudo will suffice.
    Still don't get the login phase.
    after boot and select persistent live cd, i'm always already being root@bt and ready to run. no password asked. >.<

Any other solution ?

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Quote Originally Posted by JoeleZ View Post
    Sorry Mod, my mistake. >.<
    really sorry, i take this as warning >.< sorry. i've read it but i'm blinded by something maybe >.<
    really sorry.

Still don't get the login phase.
    after boot and select persistent live cd, i'm always already being root@bt and ready to run. no password asked. >.<

Any other solution ?

Regards,
    JoeleZ
    You're already logged in as root. You'd have to remaster the cd to make it not log in automagically. I think they change it to auto log in after all the threads from people that didn't know how to search for what the root password was.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

You're already logged in as root. You'd have to remaster the cd to make it not log in automagically. I think they change it to auto log in after all the threads from people that didn't know how to search for what the root password was.
    I know that i'm already root. What i need is how to make this BT4 loader ask for the root pass, and doesn't automatically logged in.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

I know that i'm already root. What i need is how to make this BT4 loader ask for the root pass, and doesn't automatically logged in.

Regards,
    JoeleZ
    Like I said, you'll need to remaster the iso. That setting isn't something the loader can change. Why would you need to change it though, it's a live cd, everyone and their brother knows the default backtrack root password.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Like I said, you'll need to remaster the iso. That setting isn't something the loader can change. Why would you need to change it though, it's a live cd, everyone and their brother knows the default backtrack root password.
    I make live usb >.< not live cd. Yes everyone know about it but i can change it.
    That's what i mean. I make the instalation without live cd, i'm using backtrack 4 beta and make bt4 prefinal to another usb, and i'm following the step by step at offensive that using rsync, grub-install, and edit the menu.lst.

So it doesn't give me login phase after boot. what i'm asking is there anyway i can make this OS ask for password, so in anycase if my usb lost or left back in the office, no one can access it. Because sometime i saved my office data in this OS. My pc and laptop have no OS at all so it's hard for anyone else access it.

I'm already make much configuration and customize in my usb, and i want to at all cost avoiding to reinstall it.

Regards, JoeleZ

I make live usb >.< not live cd. Yes everyone know about it but i can change it.
    That's what i mean. I make the instalation without live cd, i'm using backtrack 4 beta and make bt4 prefinal to another usb, and i'm following the step by step at offensive that using rsync, grub-install, and edit the menu.lst.

So it doesn't give me login phase after boot. what i'm asking is there anyway i can make this OS ask for password, so in anycase if my usb lost or left back in the office, no one can access it. Because sometime i saved my office data in this OS. My pc and laptop have no OS at all so it's hard for anyone else access it.

I'm already make much configuration and customize in my usb, and i want to at all cost avoiding to reinstall it.

Regards, JoeleZ
    If it's automatically logging into the root user, then it's running like the cd, not a real install. Putting a password also will not keep people from seeing the documents on the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If it's automatically logging into the root user, then it's running like the cd, not a real install. Putting a password also will not keep people from seeing the documents on the drive.
    So there is noway i can make password, right?
    I think you're right about anyone still can seeing my document.
    So i'll just try not to lose my USB then.

Regards,
    JoeleZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast