Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing backtrack-ati-driviers from repository broke my BT4pre

Default Installing backtrack-ati-driviers from repository broke my BT4pre

Hi,

I installed bt4pre to hdd,
    I decided to install the ati drivers from the backtrack repository. But this completely broke my system. I went through the process of installing bt4pre again, installed the drivers and it broke my system for the second time.

The driver has backtrack appended to it. (backtrack-ati etc) So I presumed it was the best one to go for. Does anyone know how to fix the system after this?

My graphics : ATI Radieon X850 crossfire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Developer

I think a Last minute kernel change busted the ati and nvidia drivers. We will get them fixed as soon as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience.

As stated by ATI/AMD, the X850 and other older ATI cards are not supported by the Catalyst drivers 9.4+ .
    The driver in the repository is 9.5. You won't be able to use ATI-Stream either since it requires a Radeon HD card.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

From what I've seen, installing ATI drivers on any version of linux breaks it. It might just be my old ass ati cards though.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    From what I've seen, installing ATI drivers on any version of linux breaks it. It might just be my old ass ati cards though.
    It is quite old, yeah.

I've tested the ATI package on two different machines, one with a HD 3850 and the other with a HD 4850 successful.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    It is quite old, yeah.

I've tested the ATI package on two different machines, one with a HD 3850 and the other with a HD 4850 successful.
    I'm rockin a fanless HD 3450. My biggest problem is space, I can't use full height cards in the box. I have to use a pci extension board to lay my mini-pci card adapter on it's side to fit. I don't think they make those for pci express.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I'm rockin a fanless HD 3450. My biggest problem is space, I can't use full height cards in the box. I have to use a pci extension board to lay my mini-pci card adapter on it's side to fit. I don't think they make those for pci express.
    The HD 3xxx series should support version 9.5 of the driver so you should be fine with:

apt-get install ati-driver
    or did you try that out yet? That is assuming that you are on BT4 Prefinal.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    The HD 3xxx series should support version 9.5 of the driver so you should be fine with:

or did you try that out yet? That is assuming that you are on BT4 Prefinal.
    Well sombitch! That worked!

Well sombitch! That worked!
    Sweet, see sometimes it is working.

I also have the 9.6 drivers ready but there is still some issue with running Pyrit with them. So I have to dig into that before adding them to the repos.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Ah, I'm wondering if going for older drivers for this will be the best idea. Like 9.3 or something. I'll try having a go at that. cheers for responses folks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast