Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: BT4 USB installation noob-proof [TUTORIAL]

Thumbs up

I just used Unetbootin 3.56 over WinXP to prepare two working USB dongles.
    Both keys are 2GB in size - it took 2-3min for each one.

It can't get easier then this...

@ beatson

When you were following my tut you haven't used the advance settings in the step 7 of the ubiquity installer that resulted with the installer writting the GRUB to your hard drive instead of your USB.

1. To fix your computer - boot the windows installation CD, choose the recovery console ( select R when prompted) and when in the console (c:\) type:
    fixmbr (enter)
    This should fix it. (For XP)

2. The USB - you can repeat the tut from the first post and pay attention in step 7 of the installer to point it to install the grub on the USB, or you can use --grub-install as described in this video

And remeber, you can't follow half a tut and leave out the things you don't understand. Or you can and then mess up your machine.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Good thread. But I tried the alternate installation method in the video that muts and company did in order to save a blank DVD. I just used

mkdir /media/iso && mount -o loop /path/to/bt4-pre-final.iso /media/iso
    to mount the disk image first then pretty much followed the instructions. But when I tried to install grub on the usb I found that there was no device.map in /boot/grub/ so I had to make one. Am I the only one that has experienced this? The workaround was easy though, I simply created a new device.map file in /boot/grub with only these two lines:

(hd0) /dev/sda
    (hd1) /dev/sdb
    And made it executable with

chmod +x /boot/grub/device.map
    Everything else worked famously.

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks!

@#mfBaranian#

Thanks. il try to read more carefully next time

I didnt edit the menu.lst though - it still seems to be working, is there a reason i should edit it?

Thanks again,

Beatson

If it works, than not really. (Only to customize it to your needs - what to boot, timeout, vga ...)

You're welcome.

Just burned his ISO

Default Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    If it works, than not really. (Only to customize it to your needs - what to boot, timeout, vga ...)

You're welcome.
    Ah ok, good

Thanks again for your help and the tut.

Beatson

Just burned his ISO

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    Yeah, sorry... Thanks for the correction [edited]
    I manage to make the live cd of backtrack and I do not know what to do next. but I need to study lot of things like what are the backtrack commands,what should I do firest after I boot it ,how can I bring the window Icons to the monitor when backtrack running etc; can you give me a little help on this please?

@ wisal

OK.
    Here's a few pointers.
    1. When you boot the live CD type startx (this will get you into KDE - "bring the window Icons to the monitor" )
    2. You should really try another (more commonly used) linux distro to get the feel for it
    3. Most of the commands in BT are related to various tools BT consists of, and are used for pentesting
    4. To find out about BT and it's capabilities you just have to search the forum and read (all the info you need is provided). Here's a link to a thread with a long list of literature you will find usefull.
    5. This is a "HowTo" section of the forum. For further questions please post in the newbie area, as this thread's subject is installing BT4PF on a USB using the ubiquity instller.

Thanx for understanding.

Just burned his ISO

Default pfft..

Sorry to bother you again. My USB seems to boot on the computer i used to install BT, but not on my other 2, it gets stuck at GRUB again. Im guessing this is to do with menu.lst, what exactly do i need to edit? (dont want to screw anything up)

Quote Originally Posted by orange_moon35 View Post
    is it possible that the usb thumb I created works only on the computer I used to create it ?
    Where is the logic in that ? That doesn't even make sense.

btw i really want to commend you #mfBaranian# for the fine work your doing in supporting this thread, im sure it has helped many many people out even if they haven't posted.
    Using backtrack for the first time is like being 10 years old again with the keys to a Ferrari.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast