Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: BT4 USB installation noob-proof [TUTORIAL]

Just burned his ISO

Just' the right tutorial to me,
    with the full documented video (thank's remote exploit team),
    It work like a charm on my eeepc 901
    ++

Just burned his ISO

Cool Issue with boot (Assuming drive cache: write through)

Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for the videos here on the site (and at offensive-security); they've been a great help. I installed 4 pre-final to an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer USB stick and all is good, except for one small issue.

During the very early stages of the boot process I see the following message:

sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

...and the boot process halts for up to a minute before continuing. Not a huge problem but seems an unnecessary delay.

I'm a relative newcomer to Linux so i'm not sure what may be going on here. Is the system having trouble mounting the changes partition or something? I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this as I don't seem to be able to find anything here in the RE forums or on the Ubuntu forums.

Thanks

f4

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    @ orange_moon35

Really,

you should be a little more specific on what you are trying to do. From what I can see you're just running from one laptop > to another one > to the desktop PC sticking your USB whenever/wherever you can (kinda like puberty ).
    Haven't had a chance to hold U90 so wasn't able to test on it. As for your problem, did you try to rewrite the grub (the procedure is in the video in the first post)?
    For wireless - what kind of card is it, what's the chipset ...

I'm trying to make BT4 to work on my Gigabyte U60, I installed BT4 on my 2 GB usb disk by following the steps in the video posted in Offensive Security, except I used 2 GB flash disk instead of 4, when I ran BT4 off my flash disk on other computers\laptops it works fine and boots well, except on my Gigabyte U60 it gives me grub>_ instead of the menu while I already edited the menu, is it possible that I need to re-edit the grub menu to make it work on my Gigabye U60 ? or it might be some resolution issue that prevents the grub from poping up instead it gives me grub>_ console !!

My wireless card is (Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter) as it says in Windows device manager, while it's not a USB, it's a built-in wireless.

I think the reason the grub isn't loading is that the HP Desktop and Gigabyte U60 manage drives differently.

The easiest way and the best bet to install BT4PF on U60 would be to take a USB optical drive, connect it and insert a BT4PF ISO, boot from it and use the ubiquity installer.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

Default NOT noob-proof

Speaking as a noob, this isnt noob-proof at all. I did exactly what you said (other than alter the menu.lst (because i dont know what im doin)) and i can now not use my computer unless my USB stick is in, even if i want to run windows... I was also hopping i would be able to boot from the USB on any computer (like the liveCD) - Is there a way to do that? Because it just gets stuck onn GRUB..

Belive me. It's as noob-proof as noob-proof gets.

Now, I would be more than glad to help you any way I can. I do feel sorry for the reason you can't boot your machine (and hope that we will be able to sort the thing out together), but you must realize that performing actions that you do not fully understand...
    ...(other than alter the menu.lst (because i dont know what im doin))...
    ... can lead to the resulting outcome.

Please describe as detailed as you can the exact steps you took during the installation, and please post the exact output when you try booting your everyday OS.

ps.
    Feel free to PM me on this one. After we sort the thing out, I'll edit this post to include the problem and the solution for the benefit of the comunity.

Just burned his ISO

Smile need some help!

Dear all
    I am jest a new member (hai all!!!) Need some help to undestand these things. Actually I do not know about back track! So If some one can help me I appriciate it very much.
    thanks

-Xeon-

Hi =)
    I tried to install BT4 on my usb stick... via install.sh...
    if i try to boot from the stick after installation he ask me for the login... and my problem is i'm not allowed to typ anything in the password field.... someone knows that problem?

@ Xeon

First of all, how is this question related to the topic of this post?????

If it doesn't show, that doesn't mean you're not typing!!!! (And please, I dare you to ask me what's the password, I double dare you!!!!)

@ wisal

First of all, how is this question related to the topic of this post????? (Again)

I know what you want! You want someone to sum up the history and knowledge of pentesting in one sentence (that you understand) and then implant it into your brain.

Well implant this: Flame ON!

This is a pentesting distro and not a toy. If there was any purpose for you to use it, you wouldn't be asking dum***ss questions in the wrong section of the forum. If you still have any intentions of sticking around go and use the newbie section, 'cause that's what it's for!!!!

Just burned his ISO

Default RE: noob-proof

Ok, thanks for the reply #mfBaranian# - As for the steps iv taken. You listed them in your first post :P excluding the menu.lst step. I did it all on a 16GB USB so there should be no problem there. The problem i am having, is that i must have my USB in whilst booting up the vista one (dont want that), otherwise it doesnt load. Gets stuck. This is the error code when loading GRUB:
    Code:
    Error 21
    I have currently uninstalled this (aswell as on the USB) so i can re-do it with the help i need, because i dont want to screw this up If its possible with this method, this is what i would like:

For it to be persistant
    To be able to boot my computer without GRUB (when the USB stick isnt it)
    To be able to boot BT4 off the USB on any computer, not literaly any computer, but you get the point mainly because im going abroad for a few weeks and would like to take this with me.

Im currently using Unetbootin for now - until i get this fixed, but its not persistant. This being because im going abroad the coming wednesday, and although not persistant, its better than nothing.

Any help appreciated.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast