Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BT4 USB installation noob-proof [TUTORIAL]

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Snakerdlk View Post
    just hope the noob doesn't have more than one SATA hdd...and it's identified by /dev/sdb...

Anyways, I prefer the "extract iso to root of pendrive", run "/boot/bootinst.bat", verify that the drive letter is the same as the pendrives', check for errors and boot the damned thing...

(It doesn't get easier than that...)
    the noob will be writing and posting a tutorial on this when it's done, so helpful folks will get mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Partitions are generally up to you and what you want to do.
    If I were you and this were my first time with linux then I would go with something easier like straight ubuntu. Since you will probably just ignore that piece of advice then go with the automatic partition editing instead.
    As for swap on a usb not unless you want the usb to fail faster.
    Might want to read up on that last bit.
    Google=swap partition, read-write cycles usb
    Generally speaking if you have more than a gig of memory you don't really need a swap partition.
    Thanks archangel for helping me out. The above made me lol.

I see no option for 'automatic partition', so I click on manual changes.

My USB is showing:

/dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 fat32 1570MB size, 1408MB used
    /dev/sda5 ext3 2451MB size, 109MB used

Then it says no / partition set.

I know a SWAP will reduce the life of the pen drive, but I can live with that.

What should I choose? Manual ?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post
    I see no option for 'automatic partition', so I click on manual changes.

My USB is showing:

/dev/sda
    /dev/sda1 fat32 1570MB size, 1408MB used
    /dev/sda5 ext3 2451MB size, 109MB used

Then it says no / partition set.

I know a SWAP will reduce the life of the pen drive, but I can live with that.

What should I choose? Manual ?
    Well, if there is only the manual option:
    try:
    /dev/sda1 swap 1GB(should be twice your memory size...but it doesn't really matter)
    /dev/sda2 ext3 REST

that should do the trick...

I agree that you probably won't need the swap partition(it is probably more useful to keep your pendrive longer than to have a swap partition)
    and I would create a dedicated boot partition just to keep things on the safe side...
    /dev/sda1 fat32 100MB <- boot
    /dev/sda2 ext3 REST <- BT4

Just burned his ISO

Thanks snakerdlk

I've set:

/dev/sda5 FAT32 3026MB Used: Unknown
    /dev/sda1 swap 995MB Used: Unknown

Then it says "No root file system is defined"

I'm gonna go buy an 8gb Pen drive instead, I hope the final version of BT4 will not cause such issues foor people with 4gb pen drives. They are pretty common.

Thanks guys

mmm i prefer to use the one from the video section from the offensive-security site. i prefer to use things from the backtrack team. the community is great i just feel that the person who posted this didnt do a google search or didnt look at the video section on the offensive-security site. have a look and just remember to change the default from 4 not 5 like in the video.
    They ran this hack in V.M.O., so I'm isolating the A.P.I., and just booting the host. -Matthew Farrell

Well just to reply I've succesfully tested all the tuts at the offensive-security, and then decided to test further, realised the option of using ubiquity to do a USB installation. Thought it would decreace the number of "How do I do a USB install" posts in the HowTo section.

I've also posted links to the video tuts from the BT team for those who had problems with this tut (mainly related to the USB size).
    So be sure that the person who posted this did his research. There are a lot of people in this community who provide help and useful input.
    Your input would be valid if you've taken the time to test this out. I would even consider to say that you're contributing.

And further, I'm still using the USB created this way and if i run into any problems will report them.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

3 things:
    One at the OP who wrote the tutorial, nice contribution.
    If it helps people then that is where it is at. But generally speaking one has to also remember to support those efforts.

Two at the OP who is having problems with partitions.
    Just make a boot partition of about 1.5 gigs. Then make the rest of the usb stick for everything else. That should easily cover your needs.
    It is not science ( partition layouts) but really it is more like art.

Three at the OP who complained. Don't complain no one wants to hear it, help or don't. It is that simple.
    And don't respond negative here it will just further my point.
    While using something that is "official" may be the better way to go, and while I will generally agree with that philosophy, it does not help to negatively criticize anyone without offering ways to make something better.
    No one likes it, and I am sure you wouldn't either.

Cheers.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I didn't read through this whole thread so I hope I'm not double posting
    I saw allot of questions about which file system to use and thought I would throw in my 2 cents....
    I like to use ext2 on pen drives to help extend the life of the drive a little as it does not have journaling, or xfs because it only writes when necessary. xfs uses a lot of ram though, and I've heard of people having problems with it. If using ext3 I would use the option noatime in my fstab. It should have relatime in there by default. Hope this helps someone.

ps if you all ready formated with ext3 there is no need to reformat. You can mount a ext3 partition as ext2 which will disable journaling. Just edit your fstab.
    I'm no expert at pen drives or file systems. Experts comments, and input are appreciated.

Just burned his ISO

@Shark Tank
    There probably is an option where to mount the partitions
    /dev/sda5 FAT32 -> "mount as /" !!!
    /dev/sda1 swap

I've been doing some experiments on my own(similar to the usb install guide at OffSec)
    Like installing grub to my external drives boot partition(fat32)
    using 'grub-install' and 'grub' on ubuntu.
    Then copying the content of the ISO (boot and casper) to the boot partition(renaming 'boot' to 'bootBT4pre' so it doesn't overwrite the current grub files).
    Afterwards adding the '/bootBT4pre/grub/menu.lst' entries to '/boot/grub/menu.lst' (changing the 'initrd' and 'kernel' path from '/boot' to '/bootBT4pre' )

It booted but stopped at the squashfs mount and I ended up rebooting.
    (The same process worked for the Ubuntu9.04 install CD)
    The equivalent should work for the default sys/isolinux install BT3 provides, given that you translate the grub entries to LILO/SYSLINUX format...

EDIT:
    seems that when the boot hangs at squashfs and I write something and press enter, it continues to prompt(terminal, wtw)...
    (not just pressing enter...have to write sth)

Default Try UnetBootin to install BT2, 3 or 4 to Jump drive...

Just use Unetbootin you can find it on sourceforge....

hxxp://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I don't think it gets much easier than this....Hope you guys find it helpfull

great for No0bs!!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast