Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BT4 USB installation noob-proof [TUTORIAL]

Just burned his ISO

Thanks a lot buddy

It helped a lot.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    But you could manage to solve this by setting the partitions manually.
    Use a 4GB pen drive too, worked fine with BT3. How should I set the partitions now, what do you recommend? All configurations I tried failed until now!

Well I've just started to test the option (I don't have a 4GB USB so I've setup a 4 GB partition on an external HD - same thing).
    I've maned ubiquity and then saw that there were no options regarding the installation size (was expecting it, but when thought through I think the devs already tried to make it as small as possible), so you can scratch the option of using the installer on a USB smaller than 8 GB (or if the devs have some suggestions of course).
    Still, you can setup a 4GB USB using unetbootin.

Btw, I've just checked my 8GB USB (sdb1 7GB, swap 1GB) - after the installation 4.76GB of sdb1 were used. Now after a couple days of tinkering with it 5.8GB are used.

So I don't think that there is no proper reason to use the ubiquity installer on a 4GB USB because you are sure to eventually run out of space.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

Still, you can setup a 4GB USB using unetbootin.
    Tried unetbootin too, all copied, mbr written, but "Boot Error". Don't know why.

Here are the tuts

Video - Up and running BackTrack 4 - here you have an example using unetbootin (first you have to boot the liveCD)

Video - Backtrack 4 USB install - another method not including unetbootin (also from a liveCD)

I hope this helps.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

I can confirm this, that 4Gb aint enough anymore for install, so I had to install BT4 to 16Gb SSD (my second hard drive) on my Asus 701 4G. I think I will install some small standard Linux distribution to 4Gb SSD, that can be used for "normal" stuff.

Just burned his ISO

OK
    I didn't test it with a stick smaller than 8 Gig. Just figured it will be enough. But this is what happens. The partitioner creates sdb1 ext3, sdb2 extended - sdb5 swap. It takes 368 MB for the extended - swap, and leaves the rest for the sdb1. The problem is that after the installation it uses 4.76 Gigs of the sdb1 partition (both system and changes). But you could manage to solve this by setting the partitions manually.

I edited the tutorial to reference this.
    Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the tutorial.

I'm using a 4gb pen drive also.

What partition settings should I use?

I'm at the partitioner screen and it's showing:

ext3 3791MB
    swap 230MB

Thanks!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post
    Hi,
    Firstly, thanks for the tutorial.
    I'm using a 4gb pen drive also.
    What partition settings should I use?
    I'm at the partitioner screen and it's showing:
    ext3 3791MB
    swap 230MB
    Thanks!
    Partitions are generally up to you and what you want to do.
    If I were you and this were my first time with linux then I would go with something easier like straight ubuntu. Since you will probably just ignore that piece of advice then go with the automatic partition editing instead.
    As for swap on a usb not unless you want the usb to fail faster.
    Might want to read up on that last bit.
    Google=swap partition, read-write cycles usb
    Generally speaking if you have more than a gig of memory you don't really need a swap partition.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

4Gb aint enough anymore for BT4, so you need to get at least 8Gb stick now. Unfortunately most oldie eeePC's have 4Gb fast SSD and now it wont be enough for BT4. So I just installed it on my second SSD drive (16Gb and unfortunately slower but still reasonable speed) on my trusty Asus 701 4G

Might install some small linux distribution on that 4Gb drive now for the "normal" stuff...

Just burned his ISO

just hope the noob doesn't have more than one SATA hdd...and it's identified by /dev/sdb...

Anyways, I prefer the "extract iso to root of pendrive", run "/boot/bootinst.bat", verify that the drive letter is the same as the pendrives', check for errors and boot the damned thing...

(It doesn't get easier than that...)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast