Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: BT4 USB installation noob-proof [TUTORIAL]

Red face

Hi Guys, Love the videos and the tutorials, I almost have mine down pat and working.

Just one problem is booting the persistent usb install

I've edited my grub menu.lst

and then when I reboot and select it I keep getting

Code:
    Error 19: Linux kernel must be loaded before initrd
    I'm using the BT4 Pre final and have writtent down all the instructions from the video to get a usb install.....

Mine just isn't persistent...... in that I lose my settings every time I reboot

any help please would be appreciated

O.k.

Again I have been at this for hours with BT4 PFR

Installing to the usb and getting it to boot isn't a problem, works every time. But I would like to know why I lose everything each time I reboot???

What do I have to add to my grub menu or partition table to make this thing keep the changes i make...

I've searched heaps of places and some of the tutes talk of BT4beta, or BT3

but I thought the whole Idea of installing it to the USB was to have a portable system, that you could carry with you and boot up from where you left off, as opposed to >boot usb, install tools you need>>>>update MSF> well I think you get my picture

I'm trying to sound rude, and I apologise if I do.. really but does someone have a simple from start to finish on how to get it to simply boot and save the changes I make???? there would be a lot of noobs out there who would be looking for the same.

cheers
    PS I really love all the work the BT team have put into this

Hi Forget the rant earlier, I followed the tutorial one more time just for good luck and guess what.... it worked...

sorry if I offended anyone

yes to correct myself the usb install works fine and saves changes....... forget my rantingss

cheers

tracker01

Quote Originally Posted by mrsoft47 View Post
    Hi Guys, Love the videos and the tutorials, I almost have mine down pat and working.

Just one problem is booting the persistent usb install

I've edited my grub menu.lst

and then when I reboot and select it I keep getting

Code:
    Error 19: Linux kernel must be loaded before initrd
    I'm using the BT4 Pre final and have writtent down all the instructions from the video to get a usb install.....

Mine just isn't persistent...... in that I lose my settings every time I reboot

any help please would be appreciated

O.k.

Again I have been at this for hours with BT4 PFR

Installing to the usb and getting it to boot isn't a problem, works every time. But I would like to know why I lose everything each time I reboot???

What do I have to add to my grub menu or partition table to make this thing keep the changes i make...

I've searched heaps of places and some of the tutes talk of BT4beta, or BT3

but I thought the whole Idea of installing it to the USB was to have a portable system, that you could carry with you and boot up from where you left off, as opposed to >boot usb, install tools you need>>>>update MSF> well I think you get my picture

I'm trying to sound rude, and I apologise if I do.. really but does someone have a simple from start to finish on how to get it to simply boot and save the changes I make???? there would be a lot of noobs out there who would be looking for the same.

cheers
    PS I really love all the work the BT team have put into this

Hi Forget the rant earlier, I followed the tutorial one more time just for good luck and guess what.... it worked...

sorry if I offended anyone

yes to correct myself the usb install works fine and saves changes....... forget my rantingss

cheers
    Hey, i also have the same problem.

If i choose persistent mode, i get the same error.

I am still unclear about the grub entry of that one.
    made the changes as per the video. removed the kernel line and i typed

$ quiet vga=0x317

After this also , same problem. not able to boot into persistent mode. still get the error 19. I have installed the grub multiple times.

Could anyone paste the grub entries for the persistent USB. I will copy and paste it in my system.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for useful information!

My USB 32G flash drive contain now:
    • Mini-Xp from Hiren’s boot CD
    • Knoppix
    • Puppy Linux
    • DOS (Yes!)
    • BackTrack Live

I've just resized my Fat32 partition and then created an empty ext2 partition.
    I followed another interesting description for USB multiboot with BackTrack realwindfall.blogspot.com/2009/10/backtrack-in-usb-multiboot-list.html

Just burned his ISO

I've done the alternative steps on a 4gb sd card, two times, step by step carefully, but I still got the same error, kernel panic - not sycing.
    the iso file md5 is correct.
    I've made the HardDrive installation, it have the same error.
    I just need to know what to do, i've done a lot so anything that let me use backtrack witout getting this error shoud me great.
    this error just appear in time-space from nothing when i'm using bt OR when i try to update.
    sorry for my bad english.

Just burned his ISO

Hi I could not try install.sh because I didnt burn the iso (I didnt have any clear DVDs and it was late in the night ) so I tried the two video tutorials to install BT4 on my 2G flash...none of them worked for me..next I tried unetbootin from windows but no success - Boot Error.
    Because I never used grub before (or at least I cant remember) but I wanted to try it so I started to search the web about GRUB install..until I found what I needed (first result from Google "grub usb install" - http www freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/grub_intro/) and it worked..so here it is:

I had BT3 on my other usb without GRUB so first I needed to install it - ftp alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/

I didnt partition the flashdisk (I need it under win) so just formatted to FAT32
    Code:
    mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n BT4 /dev/sdc1 #sdc1 was my 2G usb
    Next copied the contents of the iso onto it
    Code:
    rsync -avh /mnt/tmp/ /mnt/sdc1/ #I mounted the iso on /mnt/tmp and the usbflash on /mnt/sdc1
    And now I copied the files stage{1,2} and fat_stage1_5 (for the FAT filesystem) from /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/ to the usb onto the directory boot/grub
    Code:
    cp -v /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage{1,2} /mnt/sdc1/boot/grub/
    cp -v /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/fat_stage1_5 /mnt/sdc1/boot/grub/
    rm /mnt/sdc1/boot/grub/stage2_eltorito #Im not sure if this is needed but I removed it
    so by now everything is set up for the GRUB install - start grub
    Code:
    grub
    to check which drives have the needed files
    Code:
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
    (hd1,0)
    (hd2,0)
    I see my two flashdisks now (the one from Im running BT3, and the one which I want to set up
    To make sure hd2 is the right one I used TAB completion
    Code:
    grub> find (hd2,0)/cas #pressed <TAB>
    grub> find (hd2,0)/casper/ #and yes it is correct
    To install GRUB I did the following:
    Code:
    grub> root (hd2,0)
    grub> setup (hd2)
    That was all. Rebooted and it worked OK.

PS: You can modify menu.lst if you want..

Hmm..tried to reinstall it once again just to confirm the above described method works and it I failed to boot..tried several times with partitions created in win in linux but no luck, tried on 2 different USBs and even to change the disk geometrics but nothing again..Until I figure out what was the problem Im using syslinux which booted right away without problems..

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Edit your posts using the Edit button located at the bottom right hand side of said post.
    Re-read the rules that you agreed to when you signed up.
    This is your one and only warning.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

To all having trouble installing BT4PF and using this thread as a guide. I am sorry to say that I am not able to troubleshoot individual problems at the time, and will not be for at least a couple of more months (doing the CCNA and don't want to split my focus.

@archangel.amael

Congrats on your moderatorship (or should I say condolances ). I'm sure you'll make a damn fine mod!
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Just burned his ISO

Dear all,

New to this, but not a total noobness on linux I followed the 1st method.

From usb sda (with netbootin) I ran the LiveCD

installed to 2nd USB stick (sdc as sdb seemed to be my hdd i wish to bypass) , where I also installed Grub on sdc1 according to step 7 of installer

I did not remove any entry in grub menu as none seemed irrelevant.

Thing is when I try to boot from the stick, all i get is a blinking _ (not even Grub>_prompt) and nothing happens.

Any ideas?

For my delima, (installing BT4 on a netbook) I'm going to need to put the ISO as is on the flash drive, add a boot loader, boot from the flashy and go from there?

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem with vista os after bt4 usb install

This weekend I got an 8gb flash drive, followed all the instructions and it worked beautifully and i have absolutely no issues booting up bt4 off of my usb drive. Although when I shutdown the computer and then try booting it up so i can use Vista it doesn't allow me to. I get a message that says " GRUB loading stage 1.5" then it says "GRUB loading, please wait.... " then i get " error 21". I can not figure out what happened and where im going wrong but i definately need to get my vista working (as much as i hate microsoft) but all of my college work, and computer programs that i need for class are on my vista. Im lost idk what to do. please, please help me. i appreciate it soo much! thanx guys.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast