Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BT4 USB installation noob-proof [TUTORIAL]

Arrow BT4 USB installation noob-proof [TUTORIAL]

Here's one for you. It saves changes.
    It's pretty easy and short.

To install BT4 Pre Final on a pen drive you can use the hard disk installer.
    It's pretty basic.
    1. Take an empty pen drive (this tutorial requires an 8 GB min. USB drive, for smaller look under the alternative methods)
    2. Get bt4-pre-final.iso
    3. Burn it with nero or whatever (use low writing speed)
    4. Boot the live CD, startx and run install.sh - you may get the "Language failed with exit code 10" - don't worry just continue
    5. Follow the instructions and when you get to the partitioner use 'Guided - use entire disk' and select sdb (you should have inserted your USB after the live CD booted - please do check the partitioner for your USB - it might be marked sdc, sdd ...) thnx Snakerdlk
    6. Finish the rest of the steps and at step 7 choose advanced and select /dev/sdb1 for the boot loader
    7. It will then perform all the necessary steps to create the USB. (Be patient - it will take some time to copy all the files from a CD to a USB)

Grub will be updated with any eventual systems you have installed but they will not be bootable (which is normal because you are booting from a USB stick), so you can simply edit the menu list (nano /boot/grub/menu.lst) and remove the fake loaders. BT will be listed as Ubuntu 8.10 (this should be obvious but I did say noob-proof).

Some tips

- you should use the login and pass that you entered during the installation
    - if you switch to root before you start kde (sudo -i) you will use KDE as root (also should be obvious but again I did say N-P)
    - you can use gparted if you don't like how the installer arranged your partitions

Alternative ways

1. BackTrack USB install video

Just make a boot partition of about 1.5 gigs. Then make the rest of the usb stick for everything else. That should easily cover your needs.
    It is not science ( partition layouts) but really it is more like art.
    thnx archangel.amael

2. Up and running BackTrack >> USB Install

This is a video using unetbootin. (Probably will fail for 4 GB USB too so use a larger one)

Thnx for the contributions!

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE POSTING
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

This one won't save changes, will it?
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Yes it will.
    Just tested, the installer created an ext3 partition. I just resized it for a better fit.
    Now let's see some noobs not getting this one.

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    Yes it will.
    Just tested, the installer created an ext3 partition. I just resized it for a better fit.
    Now let's see some noobs not getting this one.
    That's good to know. Life will be much easier with BT4 then...
    I know many had hard time with BT3.....errrrrrr including me....
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough -- Albert Einstein

Just burned his ISO

Cool, I looked yesterday and didn't see the boot and BT4 folders BT4 beta created.

I have a 4gb pen drive and want to also install gnome persistently.

Should I divide the two partitions on the pen drive around 1.5gb / 2.5gb would you say?

nice.

also works from 1st live usb to 2nd usb......same process.

A

Well, I guess this isn't quite noob proof or maybe I'm too much of a noob but I can't get past partitioning.

I'm using an empty 4GB usb pendrive and I get this message after selecting "Guided - Use Entire Disk"

"Some of the partitions you created are too small. Please make the following partitions at least this large (in bytes):

/4258442240"

Otherwise, I can use UNetbootin to get it installed without persistent changes

OK
    I didn't test it with a stick smaller than 8 Gig. Just figured it will be enough. But this is what happens. The partitioner creates sdb1 ext3, sdb2 extended - sdb5 swap. It takes 368 MB for the extended - swap, and leaves the rest for the sdb1. The problem is that after the installation it uses 4.76 Gigs of the sdb1 partition (both system and changes). But you could manage to solve this by setting the partitions manually.

I edited the tutorial to reference this.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by #mfBaranian# View Post
    6. Finish the rest of the steps and at step 7 choose advanced and select /mnt/sdb1 for the boot loader
    Sorry, but shouldn't it be /dev/sdb1 ?

Great tutorial, thanks!

Yeah, sorry... Thanks for the correction [edited]

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast