Thread: Understanding WPA2 cracking

Just burned his ISO

Default Understanding WPA2 cracking

Hi, I have no intentions of hacking someone else's internet I only research these things for my own amusement and knowledge, that being said, I have a few questions regarding WPA2 cracking. I've read a few guides to start me off, but am slightly put off by a worldlist or 'Jack the Ripper', I assumed there were two methods of cracking WPA2, first being the wordlist, and the latter; bruteforce. Since I intend on doing this on my own, I'm going to use a wordlist for a password with the length of 8, do I use 'Jack the Ripper' to essentially create me a wordlist of every 8 character combination or something? If so, how do I go about doing this, or if someone could provide me with the relevant guide.

Additionally, I assume brute force is used on those networks that have an anonymous amount of characters between 8-64 and in essence go 1by1 to find this key, am I right?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Understanding WPA2 cracking

Quote Originally Posted by Emiree View Post
    Since I intend on doing this on my own, I'm going to use a wordlist for a password with the length of 8, do I use 'Jack the Ripper' to essentially create me a wordlist of every 8 character combination or something?

Thanks in advance.
    All possible 8 character combinations for printable 95 chars? There would be 95^8 possible passwords i.e. 6634204312890625 passwords

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Understanding WPA2 cracking

You have the wrong "the ripper", the guy you want is John Jack's brother. As for making passwords Try crunch. Both crunch and JTR are included in BT4.
    Also the only way you are ever really going to "crack" this password is to ensure that your dictionary file contains it.